AFP, PNP on full red alert as CCP celebrates anniversary

admin   •   December 27, 2017   •   4213

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_122617_CPP

MANILA, Philippines — The country’s military troops, as well as, the police personnel are now on full alert against possible attacks by the New People’s Army (NPA)  as part of their celebration of the 49th anniversary of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP).

AFP Spokesperson Marine Col. Edgard Arevalo said that violence and attacks are just part of the CPP’s anniversary celebration.

“So far we are monitoring with any atrocities. So far naman, (it’s still) generally peaceful pa rin. Wala tayong na monitor (we have not monitored any [threats]),” said PNP Spokesperson PSupt. Vimelee Madrid.

The full alert status of the AFP will prevail despite the suspension of military operations to prevent the terrorist group from taking advantage of the situation.

The government-declared unilateral ceasefire will end at 11:59 in the evening, while that of the NPA has ended at 6 in the evening.

The ceasefire will resume on December 30 at 11:50 in the evening until January 2 at 6 pm.

“Their celebration is usually accompanied by armed attacks against the people that reflect the CPP-NPA’s true color as a criminal organization void of any ideology,” said Arevalo.

“The AFP will abide by the government’s SOMO and will maintain active defense posture nationwide to thwart any atrocity, deception,  and sabotage that the CPP-NPA is planning to stage,” said the AFP spokespeson.  — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

PNP goes full alert as CPP-NPA-NDF ends ceasefire amid COVID-19 crisis

Maris Federez   •   May 3, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Saturday (May 2) announced that it has gone on full alert upon the instruction of Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo M. Año.

A news alert released by the office of PNP spokesperson PBGen. Bernard Banac said the DILG chief “condemns the CPP-NPA-NDF for ending the ceasefire with the Philippine government at the height of the nation’s fight against COVID-19.”

It added that in response to Año’s directive, “the 205,000 strong PNP under the command of Police General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa is now on full alert and is ready and able to defend the country against any atrocities of this communist terrorist group.”

The PNP Chief also condemns this act by the CPP-NPA-NDF as it endangers government response to overcome the pandemic.

“On top of our duty to implement strict quarantine measures to stop the spread of this pandemic, the PNP assures Filipinos that your police and military are united behind our Commander-in-Chief President Rodrigo Roa Duterte to enforce our mandate to uphold public safety against this communist terrorist group,” said Banac.

It can be recalled that the rebel group declared ceasefire last March 26, 2020 after the United Nations called for peace amid the COVID-19 Pandemic.

The national government made an earlier declaration of a ceasefire on March 19, 2020.

“As government condemns this rebellion by the CPP-NPA-NDF as a threat to public safety amid the pandemic; we will continue to uphold the imposition of ECQ in high-risk areas and GCQ in the rest of the country from May 1 to May 15, 2020 based on government guidelines,” Banac concluded. —/mbmf

Duterte ends peace talks with Reds for killing soldiers in relief missions

Marje Pelayo   •   April 28, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The series of attacks against government forces on humanitarian missions during this time of crisis is the final straw for President Rodrigo Duterte to end peace talks with the communist rebels. 

“I’m so sad about this development but there will always be a time for reckoning. There is no more peace talks to talk about,” the Chief Executive said in his late night address on Monday (April 27).

A number of soldiers were killed and wounded in several encounters with members of the New People’s Army — the Communist Party of the Philippines’ armed wing — throughout the month of April. 

Three soldiers died and four others were hurt in an encounter with the NPA while conducting security patrol during the distribution of the social amelioration grant in Sitio Tugas, Barangay Carabalan in Himamaylan City, Negros Occidental on April 19. 

An Army soldier was also killed in a remote village in San Jacinto town, Masbate province on the same day.

Two soldiers, meanwhile, were killed while three others were wounded in an attack by communist rebels in Aurora province on April 21. The soldiers were stationed in the area guarding the conduct of aid distribution. 

Two more soldiers were injured in an attack by NPA rebels in Victorias City, Negros Occidental on April 24. 

The Philippine Army said the soldiers, together with members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) were conducting a security patrol and information dissemination about COVID-19 in the area.

“I am not and I will never be ready for any rounds of peace talks simply because the NPA, the Communist Party of the Philippines, has no respect either for their spoken works or in their deeds of killing soldiers who are on humanitarian missions,” President Duterte stressed.

READ: Duterte threatens to declare martial law if NPA attacks continue

The President earlier threatened to declare martial law if atrocities against government forces engaged in relief distribution continue. 

READ: Duterte’s new martial law threat, a cover-up for failed COVID-19 response — CPP

But the CPP, unfazed by the President’s warning, responded by accusing him of using the NPA as an excuse ‘to cover up’ the administration’s failed response against the COVID-19 crisis and to carry out his agenda of imposing martial law. MNP (with inputs from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte threatens to declare martial law if NPA attacks continue

Marje Pelayo   •   April 24, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte emphatically threatened to declare martial law if ‘lawlessness’ and attacks by New People’s Army (NPA) will continue against government forces escorting aid distribution in villages amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis.

In his public address aired on Friday (April 24) the President said he is directing the military and police for that matter.

“I am now warning everybody and putting notice to the Armed Forces of the Philippines and police. I might declare martial law and there will be no turning back,” President Duterte said.

Army officials have reported recent attacks by NPA rebels on government relief operations such as in Aurora province and in Davao City, killing two soldiers and wounding two others, respectively.

According to the Constitution, any part of the country may be placed under military or martial rule “in case of invasion or rebellion, when the public safety requires it.”

On April 16, the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP), the political arm of the NPA, announced that it was extending the unilateral ceasefire with government forces until the end of April to give priority to COVID-19 response. MNP (with inputs from Rosalie Coz)

READ: Ceasefire extension with NPA up to Duterte, anti-insurgency task force – Palace

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.