Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

AFP names 18 schools tagged in ouster plot

by admin   |   Posted on Thursday, October 4th, 2018

An official of the Armed Forces of the Philippines has revealed the universities and colleges in Metro Manila where the New People’s Army are allegedly recruiting members from.

AFP Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations Bgen. Antonio Parlade named the schools as:

1. UP Diliman
2. UP Manila
3. PUP Sta. Mesa
4. Ateneo
5. Dela Salle University
6. UST
7. FEU
8. UE Recto
9. UE Caloocan
10. Adamson University
11. Emilio Aguinaldo College
12. Eulogio Amang Rodriguez Institute of Science and Technology
13. San Beda College
14. Lyceum Of The Philippines
15. University Of Makati
16. Caloocan City College
17. University Of Manila
18. Philippine Normal University

Parlade said the school officials are possibly unaware of the activities in their respective institutions that are being used by communist groups to indoctrinate the students into joining their organization.

Parlade cited the screening of films that show the “dark years” of martial law under Marcos and projecting President Rodrigo Duterte as the new emerging dictator.

He said the films are designed to incite resentment against the government and urge students to join protest rallies.

The AFP reminds parents to keep an eye on their children to prevent them from being recruited by insurgents.

The report about a group of students conniving with the CPP-NPA to oust the president was first revealed last Tuesday during the Senate’s deliberation on the proposed budget of the Department of National Defense.

The AFP added that they also have documents on the frequent conferences of Communist Party of the Philippines founder Joma Sison with the University of the Philippines. — Asher Cadapan Jr.

Tags: , , , , ,

Mock elections in universities, not reflective of the country’s sentiments – political analysts

by Maris Federez   |   Posted on Tuesday, April 30th, 2019

(file photo)

As far as several Metro Manila universities are concerned, majority of their students have already decided on who to vote for in the May 13 Midterm Elections.

According to the Commission on Elections (Comelec), the youth had been a force to reckon with in the last Presidential election and that they still could make a big impact on the May 13 polls.

Based on Comelec data, one third (31%) of the voting population is comprised by the youth, and that the candidates are being wise enough to woo the Millennials for their votes.

In the mock elections held at the University of the Philippines (UP) Manila and Baguio this April, Liberal Party candidates took the lead, followed by several independent and administration candidates.

The mock election at PUP Manila, on the other hand, showed that an independent candidate took the lead followed by opposition and administration candidates.

Meanwhile, Atty. Larry Gadon’s campaign had been proven effective among the students in De La Salle University Dasmariñas.

The Liberal Party, on the other hand, led in mock elections held at the University of Santo Tomas, the Ateneo de Manila University, and the University of San Carlos in Cebu.

Political analyst Edmund Tayao, however, said the mock elections have no enough bearing on the real elections, and that there is a big difference on the results of the national surveys and the mock elections in universities.

“Kung hihimayin mo ang resulta in terms of segments and sector in society, consistent yan, walang problema. Pero yung sasabihin mo na magiging significant sya sa overall result eh hindi yan ang lumalabas kung ikukumpara sa national surveys [If you will scrutinize the results in terms of segments and sectors in society, they are consistent. But saying that they will be significant in the overall result, it’s not what the national surveys had been showing],” he added.

Several mock elections are still being lined up in various universities. Other political analysts, however, said that mock elections do not reflect the real sentiments of the whole nation. – Maris Federez (with reports from Mon Jocson)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

NUPL takes ‘Oust Duterte’ matrix to SC

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Thursday, April 25th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL) has taken the issue of the alleged “oust-Duterte” matrix to the Supreme Court to justify its plea for protection from alleged harassment by government forces.

In a manifestation filed by mail late Wednesday, the group cited its inclusion in the Association between Bikoy and Ellen Tordesillas which shows the names of organizations, journalists and lawyers said to be involved in the black propaganda against President Rodrigo Duterte by publishing and distributing online videos which contain the alleged involvement of the Duterte family in the narcotics trade.

The petition was filed following the release of the matrix last Monday tagging the group in the alleged destabilization plot against the Duterte government.

The group told the Supreme Court in its pleading that the “baseless and reckless” claim against their group and others named in the matrix is proof of intimidation and harassment.

“These malicious statements and dangerous claims, as well as the contrived matrix above, baseless and reckless as they are, compel the petitioners to again seek this time for the Honorable Court’s protection and reiterate their prayer for a temporary protection order,” the group said.

“Petitioners simply chose to practice the ideals of the legal profession by rendering services to the underprivileged as mandated by our oath and by legal, constitutional and international principles,” it added.

The matrix shows the supposed links between NUPL, Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism (PCIJ), Vera Files, Rappler and other media groups and personalities. The groups were also accused of distributing the “Totoong Narco list” videos.

The lawyers’ group earlier sought protection from the High Tribunal through the issuance of a writ of amparo and writ of habeas data.

The group claims that the military harassed their members after they were accused of being part of the Communist Party of the Philippines and the New People’s Army (NPA).

In its SC manifestation, the NUPL named as respondents Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Maj. Gen. Antonio Parlade, President Rodrigo Duterte, National Security Adviser and National Security Council Director Hermogenes Esperon, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, AFP Chief Gen. Benjamin Madrigal, deputy commander for intelligence Brig. Gen. Fernando Trinidad, Intelligence service chief Maj. Gen. Erwin Bernard Neri and Philippine Army commanding General Lt. Gen. Macairog Alberto. – Robie de Guzman (with details from Mai Bermudez)

Tags: , , , , ,

Duterte mulls forming new panel to talk peace with Reds

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Monday, April 15th, 2019


President Rodrigo Duterte delivers his speech during the PDP-Laban campaign rally in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon on April 13, 2019. (Photo: Joey Dalumpines|Presidential Photo)

President Rodrigo Duterte has expressed willingness to create a new panel to talk peace with Communist rebels.

Duterte made the remark nearly a month after he abolished the previous government peace panel and terminated the appointments of Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III and three others as government peace negotiators.

READ: Duterte ends appointment of Bello, 3 others as gov’t peace negotiators

The President said he might tap three military representatives and two civilians to comprise the new peace panel.

“Pero makigistorya ka, magpadala ko’g laing tao, pag-istorya mo. Di na ko,” he said during a visit to Bukidnon last Saturday.

(If you want to talk to me, I’ll send someone else. You talk to each other. I don’t want to talk anymore.)

“’Di mangita ko’g bag-o. Bag-ong paagi, bag-ong tawong makig-istorya. Basig duha, o usa, o tulo ana militar. Unya ang… Mga lima. Duha ka sibilyan, tulo ka military,” he added.

(I’ll look for another way and new people to talk to. Maybe one, two, or three from the military, and… Maybe around five. Two civilians and three from the military.)

The Chief Executive also explained that he abolished the previous government peace panel since the talks with the communist rebels were not successful.

“Katong peace panel, ako nang gibuwag. Dugay na eh. Three years, wala koy nahimo,” he said.

(I abolished the peace panel too. It’s been three years but I wasn’t even able to achieve anything.)

Duterte permanently terminated the formal negotiations with the Communist Party of the Philippines-National Democratic Front-New People’s Army (CPP-NDF-NPA) in November 2017 following a string of attacks staged by the NPA rebels against government troops.

The President said that rebels could try to talk peace with his successor instead and the government will focus on conducting localized peace engagements. – Robie de Guzman

Tags: , , , ,