AFP launches manhunt for Maute-ISIS members who escaped Marawi City

admin   •   October 25, 2017   •   8299

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_102517_Marawi City

MANILA, Philippines — The combat operations in Marawi City has already ended, and now the military is focusing on capturing the terrorists who were able to flee the city during the clashes.

Among them are Maute group Commander Abu Dar and his men.

Abu Dar is a local recruiter. He was the one who organized the training in Pia Gapo and we are now zeroing in on his location,” said WestMinCom commander Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines said that the military had already killed the seven Maute brothers, foreign terrorists, and Abu Sayaff leader Isnilon Hapilon who was the anointed emir of the Islamic State or ISIS in Southeast Asia.

General Galvez noted that the military’s success destroyed the network of ISIS in the Philippines and other parts of Asia.

“It will take a long time for them to recover, years, and we will not let them recover, we will make sure that what we have gained here we will sustain it and completely eliminate the Daesh here in the Philippines,” said the commander.

One of the generals who led the fighting against the Maute group said that justice has already been served to the residents of Marawi City following the annihilation of the terrorists who besieged the city.

“The worst condition in life a man can have was experienced by them. The fear, hunger, lack of sleep and pain. The literal meaning of killing them softly. We have already given them justice by the efforts exerted by our soldiers to the country,” said Task Force Vector Commander BGen. Corleto Vinluan.

It was on Tuesday in the afternoon when the military completely neutralized the remaining ten terrorists who were then hiding in the basement of a house. Despite being surrounded government troops, the terrorists refused to yield.

“What we did was, the recovered IEDs made by the terrorists themselves were dropped into the basement where they were hiding and we detonated the IEDs. They were all finished because even the building where they were had collapsed as well,” said Vinluan.

Earlier today, members of the special forces and scout rangers who had been on the frontline of the battle in the strife-torn Marawi City has already left the city. — Victor Cosare | UNTV News & Rescue

Germany arrests four Tajiks suspected of planning attack against U.S. bases

UNTV News   •   April 15, 2020

German police on Wednesday (April 15) arrested four suspected members of Islamic State, all from Tajikistan, believed to have been planning deadly attacks in Germany, including against unidentified U.S. installations, an official said.

Special forces in the western state of North Rhine-Westphalia made the arrests near the cities of Essen and Duesseldorf and raided properties in the area.

Prosecutors suspect the four men, with a fifth who has been in detention for the last year, of being in contact with leading members of Islamic State in Afghanistan and Syria and of receiving instructions from them.

“There were concrete attack plans, such as against two U.S. air bases in Germany,” said North Rhine-Westphalia’s state interior minister Herbert Reul.

Prosecutors said in a written statement they believed the suspects had already carried out surveillance of their targets and were procuring weapons, ammunition and components for a bomb.

Prosecutors identified the suspects as Azizjon B., Muhammadali G., Farhodshoh K. and Sunatullokh K., in line with German privacy rules. The fifth man who is already in detention was identified as Ravsan B. (Reuters)

(Production: Stephane Nitschke, Michele Sani)

DNA test confirms death of last Marawi siege terrorist leader Abu Dar

Marje Pelayo   •   April 15, 2019

Maute-Isis leader Abu Dar

MANILA, Philippines – Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Monday (April 15) said a DNA test from the United States authorities confirmed the death of Maute-ISIS leader Abu Dar.

“It is confirmed. It is Abu Dar’s remains,” Lorenzana said in a text message to UNTV News.

Col. Romeo Brawner Jr., Commander of the 103rd IB Haribon Brigade in an interview said the DNA results are indeed conclusive.

“The results were given to us by our US counterparts. We were assisted by the United States in confirming the DNA sample that they got from the cadaver of Abu Dar with those of his sons. So, yes. There is positive confirmation that Abu Dar, who was killed during the operation conducted last March 14,” Col. Brawner said.

The official said Abu Dar was the last remaining leader of the Maute-ISIS group who planned and staged the Marawi siege.

He was among the 10 terrorist leaders shown in a recovered video footage planning for the plot in Marawi City along with ISIS emir Isnilon Hapilon.

For two years, he had been in hiding and it was only in March this year that the military was able to neutralize him.

“This means that the Daulah Islamiyah, the new name of the Maute-ISIS group, will finally be ended with the death of their leader,” the military commander said.

As for his replacement, Brawner said the next in rank to Abu Dar is Abu Zacharia, a little-known Maute leader who, unlike his predecessor, is not a religious leader and “doesn’t have full influence in the entire group.”

Secretary Lorenzana, meanwhile, said they have no information yet as to who is currently leading the remaining Maute terrorists who are still in hiding.

“Well, for now his group is leaderless. We are monitoring who will replace Dar,” Lorenzana said.

Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police (PNP) welcomes the confirmation of the reported death of Abu Dar, whose complete name was Owaydah Marohombsar.

“This is a significant development in the government’s continuing campaign against terrorism and domestic threat groups,” PNP Chief Police General Oscar Albayalde said in a statement.

Government security forces clashed with members of the Maute terror group on March 14 in Tubaran, Lanao del Sur.

Abu Dar was among the five terrorists killed in the said encounter, the PNP Chief said. – Marje Pelayo

AFP condemns mall blast in Cotabato City; eyes terrorists links

Marje Pelayo   •   January 1, 2019

 

CCTV footage of bombing at South Seas Mall in Magallanes Street, Cotabato City

MANILA, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is looking at terrorist involvement in the bombing incident in a mall in Cotabato City on Monday (December 31).

In a statement, AFP Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal said though they consider the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and its breakaway group Daulah Islamiyah as “the ones with the wicked desire to sow terror and inflict harm to innocent civilians,” the military does not discount “the possibility of other interest groups aligned with the same evil intentions to be involved.”

Two individuals were confirmed dead while 34 others were injured in a suspected improvised explosive device (IED) found at the baggage counter of South Seas Mall in Magallanes Street, Cotabato City.

Investigation is underway. – Marje Pelayo

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.