AFP identifies 19 of 49 soldiers killed in C-130 crash

Robie de Guzman   •   July 8, 2021   •   535

MANILA, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Wednesday said it has identified 19 of the soldiers who perished in the C-130 crash in Sulu.

The AFP said that of the 49 personnel who died in the air mishap, 19 cadavers were positively identified as some sustained burns beyond recognition.

Those identified include:

  • Major Emmanuel Makalintal
  • Major Michael Vincent Benolerao
  • First Lieutenant Joseph Hintay
  • Technical Sergeant Mark Anthony Agana
  • Technical Sergeant Donald Badoy
  • Staff Sergeant Jan Neil Macapaz
  • Staff Sergeant Michael Bulalaque
  • Sergeant Jack Navarro (Philippine Air Force)
  • Captain Higello Emeterio (AFP Medical Corps)
  • First Lieutenant Sheena Alexandria Tato (AFP Nurse Corps)
  • Sergeant Butch Maestro (Philippine Army)
  • Private First Class Christopher Rollon (Philippine Army)
  • Private First Class Felixzalday Provido (Philippine Army)
  • Private Raymar Carmona (Philippine Army)
  • Private Vic Monera (Philippine Army)
  • Private Mark Nash Lumanta (Philippine Army)
  • Private Jomar Gabas (Philippine Army)
  • Private Marcelino Alquisar (Philippine Army)
  • Private Mel Mark Angana (Philippine Army)

The AFP said 11 of the remains were already transported to their hometowns, including Emeterio, Maestro, Agana, Rollon, Provido, Gabas, Alquisar, Lumanta, Angana, Carmona, and Monera.

The remains of Tato are now being transported via C295 aircraft while seven of the identified cadavers are being prepared for air and land transport, the military added.

AFP Chief of Staff General Cirilito Sobejana said that efforts are still focused on the identification of 30 more cadavers still in Zamboanga City, and the ongoing investigation of the plane crash.

He also corrected the previous report of 50 total fatalities among military personnel, explaining that there had been a double count. As of July 7, the total casualties are still at 49.

“This is a very hard task since the cadavers were beyond recognition but we have experts supporting our efforts. We are doing our best to expedite the identification and the ongoing investigation without compromising its credibility,” Sobejana said.

He asked for the people’s understanding as investigating teams are yet to gather more pieces of evidence to find out the circumstances of the unfortunate incident.

“Our people can be assured of the AFP’s transparency however the investigation process takes time. All factors are being considered in our deliberate efforts to ensure the accuracy of the findings,” Sobejana said.

Duterte names Army chief Centino as next AFP chief

Robie de Guzman   •   November 12, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has designated Philippine Army chief Lieutenant General Andres Centino as the new chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Malacañang said Friday.

“We confirm that President Rodrigo Roa Duterte approved and signed the designation of LGEN Andres Centino as Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) effective November 12, 2021,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a statement.

Centino will replace General Jose Faustino Jr. who is retiring from service as he reaches the mandatory age of 56.

“We are confident that Gen. Centino will continue the initiatives of his predecessors to bring lasting peace and development in the country while securing the State and upgrading our defense capability,” Roque said.

“We wish the success of Gen. Centino in his new role as AFP Chief,” he added.

Centino is a member of the Philippine Military Academy Maringal Class of 1988.

Meanwhile, the AFP said Centino’s designation “will prompt an upward movement in the AFP leadership that will further inspire our soldiers to surpass challenges with excellence and continue our campaign towards genuine transformation.”

“He has immense knowledge and experience in leading our troops on the ground and in supporting peaceful efforts to protect our people against various threats,” AFP spokesperson Colonel Ramon Zagala said in a separate statement.

“His integrity, management acumen and genuine desire for peace and development make him a competent leader who shall guide the AFP in fulfilling its mission while supporting national efforts to battle the current pandemic,” he added.

Prior to his appointment, Centino served as AFP deputy chief of staff for operations and infantry division commander in Northern Mindanao.

Military Black Hawk choppers deployed to aid missions in Western Mindanao

Robie de Guzman   •   November 5, 2021

Two Black Hawk helicopters acquired by the Philippine military have been deployed to the Western Mindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said Friday.

In a statement, the AFP Western Mindanao Command (WestMinCom) said its major Air Force Unit, Tactical Operations Wing-Western Mindanao (TOW-WM), has received the S70i Black Hawk Utility helicopters on November 4 at the Edwin Andrews Air Base.

These units will be used to aid in various missions, including support in combat operations and quick response for humanitarian aid, it added.

“We are very grateful that the top brass considered the deployment of these air assets which will greatly contribute to the accomplishment of our missions here in Western Mindanao,” said WestMinCom Commander, Maj. Gen. Alfredo Rosario, Jr.

Colonel Dennis Estrella, wing commander of the TOW-WM, said that the deployment of the Blackhawk helicopters will boost the capability of the armed forces in both lethal and non-lethal operations.

“Expect that with the deployment of the Black Hawk helicopters in our unit, our operations will greatly improve as these helicopters have larger capacity and more impressive horsepower allowing a faster and longer-range transport. In addition, the said helicopters have the ability to absorb high-impact velocities enabling it to withstand strong turbulent winds,” Estrella said.

Terror leader killed in Maguindanao clash – military

Robie de Guzman   •   October 29, 2021

A leader of terror group Daulah Islamiyah was killed in an encounter with state troops in Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said Friday.

In a statement, the AFP identified the terrorist as Salahuddin Hassan, who was believed to the “overall Amir” of Daulah Islamiyah.

Hassan was also said to be the one behind the series of bombings and terror attacks in Maguindanao, North Cotabato, and Sultan Kudarat.

The military said Hassan was killed early Friday morning in a joint police and military operation in Barangay Damablac in the municipality of Talayan.

Also killed in the clash was Hassan’s wife, Jehana Minbida, who was said to be the finance officer of the terror group.

The operation was launched following report from residents on the presence of suspicious armed individuals in the area.

Hassan was allegedly trying to escape when he was killed by the troops. He was seriously wounded and was left by his group along with his wife, the AFP said.

“Our operating troops were able to recover the cadaver of Hassan and Minbida together with several firearms and war material which includes a 5.56mm R4 Rifle, bandoliers, ammunition, various war paraphernalia, and subversive documents,” the military said.

AFP chief of staff General Jose Faustino Jr. commended the units involved in the operation.

“This latest accomplishment is a significant blow against the DIHG (Daulah Islamiyah-Hassan Group) and another victory in our thrust against terrorism. With their leader now dead, the terrorist group will certainly crumble,” he said.

 

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.