Actor Kevin Hart injured in Los Angeles car accident
Jeck Deocampo • September 2, 2019 • 880
Actor Kevin Hart suffered major injuries in a car accident in Los Angeles early on Sunday morning (September 1), the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said.
Hart, 40, was being driven in a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda shortly after midnight on Mulholland Highway when the driver lost control of the car and it tumbled down an embankment, the CHP said in a statement.
CHP did not elaborate on the nature of Hart’s injuries, but TMZ reported that he injured his back.
The driver, Jared Black, also suffered major injuries in the accident, the CHP said. He was not under the influence of alcohol at the time, the CHP added.
Hart, who is known for his stand-up comedy and comic roles in movies including “Ride Along,” was able to leave the scene of the crash with a second passenger, who was not badly hurt, and head to his home nearby to get medical attention, the CHP said.
Hart was eventually taken to Northridge Hospital Medical Center and the driver was taken to another hospital. (Production: Kia Johnson)
Golfer Tiger Woods was brought to a hospital in Los Angeles on Tuesday after suffering multiple leg injuries when he figured in a car crash, local authorities said.
In a statement, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said Woods, 45, was the single occupant of a sport utility vehicle when it went off a road and rolled down a steep hillside at about 7:12 a.m.
The car crash occurred near the suburban communities of Rolling Hills Estates and Rancho Palos Verdes, it added.
The incident required the “jaws of life,” which refers to tools used to pry open vehicles involved in accidents, to extricate Woods.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said Woods was conscious during the extrication and that his injuries were not believed to be life threatening.
Woods is currently in surgery, according to his agent, Mark Steinberg.
Woods is considered one of the greatest athletes in golf history, winning 15 major championship titles since 1997.
While most public schools across the country will begin the new school year with online education in the fall, private schools in Los Angeles are preparing to open their classroom doors to students for face-to-face learning.
At St. Benedict School in Montebello, one of 200 private schools in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, classrooms have been adjusted for social distancing, with cardboard partitions on top of desks to keep students apart. Class sizes have also been modified and temperature checks will be carried out when lessons resume on September 9.
Principal Frank Loya Jr. told Reuters on Tuesday (July 14) his teachers are eager to return to school, after facing difficulties teaching from home.
“Very challenging because the majority of my teachers have children. So, they’re also teaching their class, their students in their classroom. Plus, since their children are at home also, they had to be teaching, directing them. Some of their children attend public school and some of them attend St. Benedict also. So, all that adjustment, I think, as teachers were very stressed,” he said.
A few miles away at St. Joseph School in La Puente, classrooms, restrooms and water fountains are being rebuilt to comply with new COVID-19 guidelines. The school had already planned renovations prior to the pandemic but with additional funding, they decided to expand further.
St. Joseph School currently has 200 students enrolled for the 2020-2021 school year
“Education isn’t the same when you’re not in a classroom setting,” said principal Luis Hayes. “When children are at home, it’s hard to have classroom management, and the student level of engagement changes. So, when you’re in a classroom setting and when you’re with the teacher, you have the classroom management and you have the engagement piece,” he said.
Hayes said there’s an vitally important emotional that comes with in-person instruction.
“For students to come back to school, it’s important that we give them that social emotional aspect and we give them time where they know how to socialize, but they know how to do it safely. And we practice all the social distancing,”
There are approximately 73,000 students enrolled in 200 schools of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles for the new school year.
Tuition cost ranges from $5,000 for primary schools up to $11,437 for high school. (Reuters)
Members of Hollywood’s film community are back at work after safety guidelines were approved by the state of California.
One of the first productions, “7th & Union,” began filming after being approved to proceed by the acting union, SAG AFTRA. The filmmakers claim the production is one of only two to get the green light.
“We’re one of the first to go filming here in Los Angeles and it’s been kind of a trial and error,” said the film’s producer Christopher Acebo, adding “SAG AFTRA has been wonderful to work in terms of the process but we’ve had to set up various guidelines and safety based on the guidelines that came out, maybe, two or three weeks ago from the state of California.”
“It’s been a learning process, obviously. We have a situation where we are making a movie and also having to wear masks, also having to stay six feet away from each other, as well as adhere to a variety of safety protocols and temperature checks in the morning and also everybody on set getting tested for COVID,” Acebo said.
The filmmakers deliberately drew up their production schedule to leave extra time for anything unexpected and also kept scenes as simple as possible.
Acebo said, “Part of what we are doing right now is we are doing a lot of the smaller scenes, the scenes that require the least amount of cast members at first and then we’re in open space and open locations so that’s also been really, really helpful in terms of the shape of the film and how we’re able to keep safety and how that shape of the film is working.”
The safety protocols aren’t the only thing that has changed on the set; the new power hierarchy means safety monitors who patrol the set have the final say in ensuring everybody is working to the guidelines.
“Right now our safety monitors have the power to stop our filming. If someone doesn’t feel safe, if someone doesn’t feel that someone else is complying with the rules that have been set up, they can speak with the EMT or the COVID manager and we have to stop and deal with that issue as it comes up, so they kind of do have ultimate authority on the space that we’re occupying right now,” Acebo said.
“7th & Union,” which is an immigrant story about an unlikely friendship, is aiming to wrap production within the next fortnight with the film to be completed by October. (Reuters)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.