9 cops, 3 officials face administrative charges over Sulu shooting incident
Aileen Cerrudo • September 7, 2020 • 337
Nine police officers are facing administrative charges for their involvement in the shooting of four soldiers in Jolo, Sulu on June 29.
Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Camilo Cascolan confirmed on Monday (September 7) that the PNP-Internal Affairs Service (PNP-IAS) has filed administrative charges against the nine cops and their three immediate superiors.
“Summons were served last week to the nine respondents who are presently under restrictive custody by the headquarters support service in Camp Crame,” he said.
Aside from the administrative charges, the nine cops will also face criminal charges for murder and planting of evidence filed by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
Cascolan also said the three immediate superiors will face administrative charges “for gross neglect of duty under the doctrine of command responsibility.”
The Philippine Army previously reported that the four soldiers are members of their intelligence unit who are on the hunt for two suicide bombers. They also said the two suicide bombers are those responsible for the twin explosions in Jolo, Sulu on August 24 which killed 15 and injured 74. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
A bomb plot in the capital town of Jolo in Sulu province believed to have been orchestrated by local terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) was foiled by the Philippine security forces, the military said.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said, this is after the elements of the Philippine Coast Guard-Explosive and Ordnance Division (PCG) discovered a baggage that contained an improvised explosive device allegedly planted at the local port on Saturday.
The military added that a PCG patrol team found the abandoned baggage between the office of the Harbor Master and the Maritime Police Office at Jolo port.
A K9 unit deployed to the area confirmed that the baggage contained a bomb.
Operating troops of the 35th Infantry Battalion immediately cordoned off the area while the bomb squad carefully disarmed the explosive which was assembled using two electric blasting caps, a rifle grenade, a spark plug and concrete nails.
“I commend our troops and our partners for the accomplishment. You saved the lives of the innocent people and foiled this terroristic activity of our heartless enemies,” said Brig. Gen. William Gonzales, commander of the anti-terror Joint Task Force Sulu.
AFP Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) chief Lt. Gen. Corleto Vinluan Jr. also commended the troops.
“This success is a result of the intensified conduct of intelligence operations and the strengthened collaboration with the police and other security agencies, thus preempting the terrorists from executing their terror plan. I commend the troops of the JTF Sulu for a job well done,” he said.
The military said tight security measures remain in place as government troops continue to pursue ASG leader Mundi Sawadjaan who was said to the brains of the twin bomb attacks in Barangay Walled City in Jolo barely a month ago that killed 14 people and injured others. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Val Villaflor)
MANILA, Philippines — Police special fighters backed by light armor units have joined the pursuit operations against the suspects behind a roadside bombing in Maguindanao on Friday night (September 18).
According to a statement sent by the Philippine National Police (PNP) to the media on Saturday, the bombing resulted in the death of a Marine personnel and the wounding of four other military men.
The report said that personnel of the Maguindanao Police Provincial Office, the 2nd Provincial Mobile Force Company, the 404th Special Action Company, and the Light Armor Unit of the PNP-SAF were first to respond to the scene of explosion at 7:50 PM on Friday along the provincial road near the Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) in Shariff Aguak.
Police post-blast investigators have likewise sifted through the debris around the seat of explosion of the suspected improvised explosive device (IED).
The report also said that PNP Chief, PGen. Camilo Pancratrius P Cascolan, was informed of the incident thru the PNP Command Center.
Cascolan then immediately alerted newly-installed PRO-BAR Regional Director, PBGen. Samuel Rodriguez to mobilize maneuver units for tactical operations against the suspects.
The personnel of the Philippine Marines on board a troop carrier were reportedly coming from a military operation against BIFF elements in Barangay Salman when the bombing happened.
They were immediately rushed to the nearby IPHO by the responding PNP personnel. — /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief General Camilo Cascolan on Wednesday said he is considering Brigadier General Vicente Danao Jr to be the next head of the Metro Manila police.
In a TV interview, Cascolan said Danao is competent and suited to lead the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO).
“Well, whether NCRPO or CIDG (Criminal Investigation and Detection Group) is good but I would rather choose him for NCRPO because he is much better in the NCRPO,” he said.
Danao is the current chief of the Police Regional Office 4A and served as former head of the Manila Police District.
In response to Cascolan’s remark, Danao said he is ready to serve and do his best in whatever capacity.
“Rest assured that in whatever capacity I will be in, this representation, will always do its best to enforce the law without fear and favor, maintain peace & order, prevent and control crimes, and ensure public safety & internal security with the active support of the Community,” he said in a message to UNTV News.
Meanwhile, Cascolan said he is still evaluating the performance of current NCRPO director Major General Debold Sinas, adding that he could possibly be promoted to a higher position.
“Of course, the guy deserves also an evaluation and of course a promotion too. He has done good things and that’s all I can really say,” he said.
The PNP chief Sinas could be designated as directorial staff where he can put to use his expertise in training and recruitment of police personnel.
“I think he needs to be up to the directorial staff or in a certain position that is fit mostespecially for it. I believe he is an expert most especially with regard to training to personnel and training of recruits,” he said. “Debold is also a seasoned officer wherein he experienced a lot of things.”
Cascolan also revealed that he canceled the ‘midnight’ appointment of several PNP officials, which he said were made by former PNP chief Archie Gamboa a few days before his mandatory retirement.
He, however, refused to provide any details about the concerned officials and their positions. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.