800 informal settler families relocated in an 11-hectare site

admin   •   December 17, 2016   •   9336

The 11-hectare Disiplina Village, the biggest in-city relocation site in the Philippines, located in Valenzuela City. (Photo captured by UNTV drone.)

 

VALENZUELA CITY,  Philippines — Informal settler families living by the riverside are grateful because they no longer have to live in constant danger.

Over 800 informal settler families have been relocated to the biggest in-city relocation site in the country — the 11-hectare Disiplina Village located in Valenzuela City.

Inside the village are schools, clinics and mini grocery stores. And because it is located in the city, access to jobs is easier.

Valenzuela City Mayor Rex Gatchalian explained, “kung dati ang relocation sa labas ng Metro Manila. Pero nahihrapan sila dahil malayo sa pamilya, trabaho, mahal sa buhay, nagdesisyon kami na dapat dito lang kayo sa Valenzuela City.”

(Relocations in the past used to be outside Metro Manila. But people find it difficult because it is too far from work and family. So we decided that relocation should be within Valenzuela City.)

A total of 3,834 informal settler families are the main target recipients of this entire housing program.

This in-city relocation has been the project of Vice President Leni Robredo after she was appointed as chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC).

WATCH: HUDCC implements onsite relocation for informal settlers in Sitio San Roque, QC 

The Vice President is hoping that the project will continue despite her resignation.

“Nakailang meetings na po kami ng National Housing Authority (NHA) at ibang shelter agencies, Metro Manila mayors, congressmen. Ito po yung binubuo natin na yung local government units (LGUs) na may ganitong proyekto mai-share sa ibang LGU,” said Vice President Leni Robredo.

( We’ve had several meetings with the NHA, shelter agencies, Metro Manila mayors and congressmen. This is what we have been advocating, that LGUs with this kind of projects would be able to share with other LGUs. ) — Grace Casin | UNTV News and Rescue

 

PNP dismisses Valenzuela cop who shot teen with special needs

Robie de Guzman   •   October 12, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The police officer assigned in Valenzuela City who was involved in the death of a teenager with special needs has been dismissed from the service, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said on Tuesday.

PNP chief Police General Guillermo Eleazar said he has ordered the removal of Police Senior Master Sergeant Christopher Salcedo from the service following a review of the Internal Affairs Service (IAS) recommendation.

The review was conducted by the Discipline, Law and Order Division- Directorate for Personnel and Records Management (DLOD-DPRM) and the Office of the Chief PNP.

“I have signed the order for the dismissal from the service of PSMS Salcedo for grave misconduct and less grave irregularity in the performance of duty,” Eleazar said in a statement.

The PNP said Salcedo was administratively charged for the death of 18-year-old Erwin Arnigo during an anti-illegal gambling operation conducted by Valenzuela City Police personnel last May 23.

The National Bureau of Investigation is still conducting a probe for the filing of a criminal complaint against Salcedo, it added.

In dismissing Salcedo, Eleazar said he has taken into consideration several factors that aggravated his offense, including violation of the police operational procedure as well as the fact that the teenager was a person with special needs.

“Arnigo should not have been arrested by Valenzuela City police personnel, particularly Salcedo, the teenager having no involvement with the tupada (illegal cockfighting) ,” he said.

“Being a person with autism spectrum disorder, he could not have knowingly taken part in the illegal gambling activity,” he added.

The IAS previously recommended a 40-day suspension against Salcedo citing the accidental nature of the fatal shooting and his awards and citations as mitigating factors.

Meanwhile, Eleazar affirmed the dropping of the administrative cases of grave neglect of duty and less grave neglect of duty against four other Valenzuela City police personnel who took part in the anti-illegal gambling operation.

He said that there was no substantive evidence to support their supposed administrative offenses of grave neglect of duty and less grave neglect of duty.

VP Robredo files COC for 2022 presidential bid

Robie de Guzman   •   October 7, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Vice President Leni Robredo on Thursday formalized her bid for the presidency in the 2022 elections by filing her certificate of candidacy (COC) just hours after making a declaration to join the race.

Robredo filed her COC before the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza in Pasay City.

She was accompanied by her daughters, Tricia and Aika, and lawyer Romulo Macalintal.

Earlier in the day, Robredo announced her presidential bid, vowing to fight the country’s “old and rotten” political system and properly address issues brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Buong-buo ang loob ko ngayon. Kailangan nating palayain ang sarili mula sa kasalukuyang sitwasyon. Lalaban ako. Lalaban tayo. Inihahain ko ang aking sarili bilang kandidato sa pagkapangulo sa halalan ng 2022,” she said in her speech.

Prior to her announcement, Robredo was nominated by the opposition coalition, 1Sambayan as its presidential candidate.

Before she was elected vice president in 2016, she served as Camarines Sur representative to Congress.

Palace on VP Leni’s presidential bid: It’s her right

Maris Federez   •   October 7, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines — Following Vice President Leni Robredo’s declaration of joining the presidential race in the 2022 national elections, Malacañang said seeking any electoral post is her right as a Filipino.

“Well, it’s every right of a Filipino to stand for public office,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a Palace press briefing Thursday.

Robredo file her certificate of candidacy (COC) on Thursday before the Commission on Elections.

The Vice President’s announcement happened two days after former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., declared that he is running for president in the coming elections.

Marcos and Robredo were known to be the closest rivals for the vice-presidential post in the 2016 elections. —/mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.