71 million people have fled their home or their country in 2018, UNHCR says
Robie de Guzman • June 19, 2019 • 1094
Despite populist rhetoric in the West, the real refugee crisis is playing out in developing countries, which hosts most of the record 70.8 million displaced people who have fled war and persecution, the United Nations said on Wednesday (June 19).
Half of the world’s forcibly displaced are children and the 2018 total is the highest in nearly 70 years, doubling that of 20 years ago, the U.N. refugee agency said in its annual flagship report, Global Trends.
But the figure is “conservative,” as it does not include most of the 4 million Venezuelans who have fled abroad since 2015, it said.
This is because Venezuelans do not need visas or to lodge asylum claims to stay in most host countries. If the outflow continues, a total of 5 million Venezuelans could have left by year-end, it added.
Filippo Grandi, U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees urged for a political solution in the country.
“If the situation is not solved politically in Venezuela, with a political agreement, we will see a continuation of this exodus. I know that the government of Venezuela has complained that our figures are inflated, well, these are the figure that we get from governments in the region,” Grandi said.
Venezuelans arriving mainly in Colombia, Peru, and Ecuador formed the second biggest flow of newly displaced abroad last year, after Syrians fleeing to Turkey after eight years of war, the agency said.
U.S. President Donald Trump has made reducing illegal migration along the border with Mexico one of his signature policy pledges.
“If there is any help that we can provide to the U.S. administration in dealing with this matter, we are ready to do it. We have a dialogue with the Department of Homeland Security in this respect,” Grandi said.
“Yes, and it is not just in the United States, in Europe as well and Australia. It started earlier in Australia than in other places. This is the crisis of solidarity that I have mentioned. It is identifying refugees and migrants with the problem instead of people that are fleeing from a problem,” he added. (REUTERS)
The UN’s refugee agency, UNHCR, says up to 150 people are feared dead after a wooden boat carrying migrants capsized off Libya.
The head of the UNHCR, Filippo Grandi, said in a tweet that it was the worst such tragedy in the Mediterranean this year.
The Libyan navy said it had rescued 134 people, with 115 missing, feared drowned.
It said about 250 people were on board the ship when it capsized off the coast near Khoms, east of the capital Tripoli. Most are thought to be from Eritrea and other sub-Saharan Africa and Arab countries.
Dozens of survivors were brought to Khoms after being rescued. A Sudanese migrant, Sabah Youssef, who lost her seven-year-old son in the sinking, blamed the International Organization for Migration for turning her away when she went to them for help.
Libya is a hub for migrants and refugees, many of whom try to reach Europe in unseaworthy boats. The latest shipwreck takes the death toll of Mediterranean migrants to over 600 this year. (REUTERS)
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang clarified on Monday that President Rodrigo Duterte’s threat to wage war against Canada over the garbage shipped to the Philippines was just a figure of speech.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo made the statement after Duterte issued a stern warning against Canada if it fails to take back their garbage that was shipped to the country nearly six years ago.
During a Palace press briefing, Panelo said the President was not serious in engaging Canada in war, but emphasized that Duterte was serious in sending the trash back.
The Palace official added that Duterte was just expressing his anger over Canadian government’s inaction on the waste issue.
“No, bakit naman irresponsible eh apat na taon mong tinapon ‘yung basura sa bansa natin, hindi ka magsasalita ng ganoon? That’s an expression of outrage, couched in a very strong term,” he said.
Last week, Duterte said he wanted the trash shipload from Canada be returned to its shores, even raising the possibility of going to war against the North American country.
The President was referring to the more than 100 containers of mixed waste shipment that arrived in Manila in batches from 2013 to 2014.
“The instruction is kunin nila. Kung hindi niyo kukunin, kami ang mag-babalik sa inyo,” Panelo said.
Following Duterte’s strong remarks, Canada in a statement reaffirmed its commitment to working with the Philippine government “to ensure the material is processed in an environmentally responsible way.”
The embassy added that the relationship between the two countries “is built on strong people to people ties, common interest in strengthening political, economic and cultural relations, and in mutual commitment to peace” and is highly valued as the two countries celebrate their 70 years of diplomatic relations this year.
During his visit to the Philippines to attend the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit in 2017, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau vowed to cooperate with the Philippine government in resolving the offending shipment.
Trudeau, however, said the Philippines and Canadian governments need to settle issues including who will pay for the shipment of the illegal trash to the country. – Robie de Guzman (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) Founding Chairman Nur Misuari has threatened to go to war against the government if the proposed shift to federalism is rejected, President Rodrigo Duterte revealed on Wednesday.
Duterte met with Misuari in Malacañang on Tuesday night upon the latter’s return from his trip to Morocco and the United Arab Emirates. This was already their second meeting in less than a month since the formal ratification of the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL).
The BOL was the result of the government’s negotiations with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which was established by former MNLF members.
“Sabi ni Misuari kagabi (Misuari told me last night), if you do not give it [federalism] to me, let me be very honest. I will go to war,” Duterte said during a campaign sortie of the PDP-Laban in Marikina City on Wednesday.
The President said he assured Misuari that he understands his stand but the approval of the proposal as well as the type of the federal system to be used depends on Congress. The 1987 Philippine Constitution would also have to be amended to enable the shift to federalism.
Duterte also said that a panel will be formed between the government and MNLF for the negotiations.
“Let’s form a panel because you have to inform the people. We cannot negotiate secretly here. Sabi ko, (I told him) day-to-day they will be briefed kung ano ang outcome (about the outcome). How gusto mong ma-apply ‘yang federal system sa gusto mo (how do you want the federal system to be applied). Will it be like the BOL or a different type?” he said.
Malacañang, meanwhile, denied allegations that Duterte’s move to reveal Misuari’s warning is meant to influence the Congress and the public to approve the proposed federalism.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the President only wanted to let the public know about the importance of the bill.
“He responded to that and said, if it fails, we will be dying together. Ibig sabihin, lalabanan kita, ‘yun ang ibig sabihin ni President, lalabanan mo gobyerno, eh di lalabanan din kita, (it means, I will fight against you, that was what the President meant. If you go against the government then I will also fight you.)” Panelo said.
Although the MNLF’s threat is serious, Panelo said that Misuari has also expressed hope that federalism will be realized during Duterte’s term.
The shift to federalism is one of Duterte’s campaign promises.
The House of Representatives had passed its version of the proposed Charter Amendment while the Senate has yet to tackle the bill. – Robie de Guzman (with details from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.