7 Vietnamese nationals barred entry to the Philippines
Marje Pelayo • February 11, 2021 • 493
MANILA, Philippines —The Bureau of Immigration (BI) at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) has denied the entry of seven Vietnamese nationals found to be misrepresenting the purpose of their travel.
A statement released by the immigration bureau said the seven Vietnamese were intercepted on separate occasions at the NAIA Terminal 2 arrival area after flying in from Ho Chi Minh City and Singapore.
“We intercepted the first batch of three passengers on February 9, and denied their entry to the country,” BI Port Operations Division Chief Atty. Candy Tan stated in her report.
“However, we were surprised to find that another four arrived the following day,” she added.
The officer said the group showed that they were endorsed by an IT and business solutions company in the Philippines.
However, when asked how they are connected to said company, all seven gave conflicting answers and admitted they only met at the Vietnam International Airport.
“When asked, they had no knowledge of IT or the workings of their alleged company. They were unable to establish their purpose of travel,” Tan said.
“Hence they were excluded and boarded on the next available flight back to their port of origin,” she added.
The seven were excluded under Section 29(a) 5 of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940.
BI Commissioner Jaime Morente reminded port personnel to strictly monitor arriving passengers despite the easing of travel restrictions in the country.
“All immigration officers must strictly assess arriving passengers to ensure the legitimacy of their purpose of travel,” said Morente.
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs (BOC) seized a live leopard gecko at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) packed in a parcel from Thailand.
The package arrived at Paircargo warehouse without the required import permit from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).
This prompted the conduct of 100 percent physical examination on the parcel which resulted in the discovery of a live leopard gecko approximately valued at P20,000.
According to DENR, gecko is a species regulated under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES) and protected under Republic Act (RA) No. 9147 otherwise known as the Philippine Wildlife Resources Conservation and Protection Act.
Its collection from the wild, as well as trade, requires an import permit from the Biodiversity Management Bureau under the DENR.
Violation of RA 9147 is reportedly punishable by imprisonment up to four (4) years and a fine up to P300,000.00.
The seized leopard gecko shall be subjected to seizure and forfeiture proceedings for violation of Section 1113 in relation to Section 117 of the RA 10863 or the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA) and Section 11 of RA 9147.
The custody of the seized wildlife species was immediately turned over to DENR.
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has directed the provincial government of Cebu to adhere to the COVID-19 testing and quarantine protocols set by the national government for returning overseas Filipinos, Malacañang said Monday.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque made the announcement after the memorandum from Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea on the diversion of Cebu-bound flights to Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) lapsed on June 12.
“From the Office of the Executive Secretary, the President has decided that the IATF protocols must be implemented by the Cebu province,” Roque said during his regular online briefing.
“The President has also considered the DOH critique and has decided that Cebu province must abide by IATF arrival protocols,” he added.
Cebu had been administering RT-PCR tests on returning nationals upon their arrival at the Mactan-Cebu International Airport.
This is contrary to the IATF protocols, which require arriving Filipinos to undergo quarantine in a government-accredited facility for 10 days and take an RT-PCR test on the seventh day of their arrival.
“The last extension was just a preparation for full implementation of that decision,” Roque said, pertaining to Medialdea’s order to extend the diversion of flights bound for Cebu to NAIA, which was in effect from June 5 to 12.
Roque, however, leaves to the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) the decision on what measure to take should Cebu continue to defy the national government’s protocol.
Duterte earlier met with Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia to discuss quarantine protocols.
MANILA, Philippines – The diversion to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) of international flights bound for the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) will be extended to June 12, Malacañang announced on Tuesday.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the office of Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea has issued a memo extending the flight diversion “until 23:59 hours of June 12.”
Roque said this is to provide ample time for authorities to thresh out Cebu Province’s COVID-19 protocols for returning Filipinos, which differs from the directives issued by the national government.
International flights for MCIA were initially redirected to NAIA from May 29 to June 5.
“Ito po’y para maayos yung pag-implement ng IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force) arrival protocol sa Cebu,” Roque said in a media briefing.
The Cebu government requires passengers to undergo a test upon arrival at the airport while the IATF requires screening of passengers on the 7th day of their quarantine.
President Rodrigo Duterte last week met with Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia to discuss this difference.
Roque expects the Cebu government to comply with the specific protocols mandated by the IATF after the flight diversion period ends.
“Upon resumption of flights to Mactan-Cebu International Airport, the travel and testing protocols approved by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Infectious Diseases will be fully and seamlessly implemented,” Roque said, reading from the memo.
“Inaasahan po natin that on the 13th of June, the IATF protocols on arriving OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) and OFs (overseas Filipinos) will be implemented in Cebu. Yan po ay according to the memorandum issued by the executive secretary dated 5 of June 2021,” he said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.