Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

60% Galaxy Note 7 units, recalled – Samsung

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, September 29th, 2016

A Samsung Electronics' Galaxy Note 7 new smartphone is displayed at its store in Seoul, South Korea, September 2, 2016. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji/File Photo

A Samsung Electronics’ Galaxy Note 7 new smartphone is displayed at its store in Seoul, South Korea, September 2, 2016. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji/File Photo

 

Samsung Electronics Company said on Tuesday it has recovered around 60 percent of recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphones sold in South Korea, the United States and Europe.

The world’s top smartphone maker announced recall order on the units due to fire-prone batteries.

Reports of Note 7 fires and damages have continued after the recall announcement, while aviation authorities around the world issued warnings or outright bans on the use or charging of the Note 7 on aircraft.

Samsung said, around 90 percent of customers who turned in their devices through the exchange program have opted for a replacement Note 7.

READ: South Korea orders battery safety measures for Samsung Note 7

But it remains unclear how strong the demand from new customers would be when sales resume.

“I probably wouldn’t buy anything Samsung ever again,” Social media coordinator Kim Fielding said. “I don’t trust Samsung,. That’s too scary and they have a lot of work to do to get consumers’ trust back. A lot of work.”

On the other hand, Counterpoint Technology Market Research Director Tom Kang said, in the long term, this will strengthen Samsung’s brand because they kind of set a certain standard of how they value their customers.

Samsung hopes to take the faulty products off the market as soon as possible in order to limit further damage to its reputation.

The company also hopes to resume sales of the flagship device ahead of the key holiday shopping season in major markets such as the United States. — Sonny Cos | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Samsung Electronics says battery caused Note 7 fires, may delay new phone launch

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Monday, January 23rd, 2017

A model poses for photographs with a Galaxy Note 7 new smartphone during its launching ceremony in Seoul, South Korea, August 11, 2016. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji/File Photo

Samsung Electronics Co Ltd indicated on Monday that its latest flagship Galaxy S smartphone could be delayed as it pledged to enhance product safety following an investigation into the cause of fires in its premium Note 7 devices.

Wrapping up its months-long probe into the cause of the Note 7 debacle, the world’s top smartphone maker said faulty batteries from two suppliers were to blame for a product failure that wiped $5.3 billion off its operating profit.

Samsung mobile chief Koh Dong-jin said procedures had been put in place to avoid a repeat of the fires, as investors look to the launch of the South Korean tech giant’s first premium handset since the Note 7, the Galaxy S8, some time this year.

“The lessons of this incident are deeply reflected in our culture and process,” Koh told reporters at a press briefing. “Samsung Electronics will be working hard to regain consumer trust.”

However Koh said the Galaxy S8 would not be unveiled at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) trade show in Barcelona, which begins on Feb. 27, the traditional forum for Samsung premium product launches. He did not comment on when the company planned to launch the new handset.

Investors have been looking to the investigation into the Note 7 failure to reassure consumers that the company is on top of the problem and can be trusted to fix it.

Samsung’s reputation took a hammering after it announced a recall of fire-prone Note 7s, only for reports to emerge that replacement devices also caught fire. Images of melted Samsung devices spread on social media and airlines banned travellers from carrying them on flights.

The handset, Samsung’s answer to Apple Inc’s iPhones, was withdrawn from sale in October less than two months after its launch, in one of the biggest tech failures in tech history.

SHORT CIRCUITS

Investigations by internal and independent experts ruled out problems with the Note 7’s hardware and software, Samsung said.

Instead, manufacturing and design defects in Note 7 batteries caused short-circuiting, Koh said.

Samsung Electronics did not name the battery suppliers on Monday but previously identified them as affiliate Samsung SDI Co Ltd and China’s Amperex Technology Ltd (ATL). SDI said in a statement it would invest 150 billion won ($128.56 million) to improve product safety and expected to continue to supply batteries for Samsung phones.

Samsung said it accepted responsibility for asking battery suppliers to meet certain specifications and did not plan to take legal action against them. The company touted longer battery life and fast charging as major improvements when it launched the Note 7.

Among other measures to boost safety, Samsung said it had implemented an eight-point battery check system to avoid any such problems going unnoticed in future.

While Samsung Electronics’ mobile division is expected to have bounced back from the Note 7 failure during the fourth quarter, experts remained cautious about the outlook for sales of future flagship devices.

“The current situation is not largely different from that of the first recall when it pointed fingers at batteries,” said Park Chul-wan, a former director of the Centre for Advanced Batteries at the Korea Electronics Technology Institute.

“Consumers will accept the results only if there is no problems with S8.”

Patrick Moorhead, president of technology analyst and advisory firm Moor Insights & Strategy, said however that he thought Samsung had done enough to convince consumers that it can “prevent future issues”.

Samsung Electronics shares ended up 2.3 percent in the flat wider market, buoyed by hopes the firm had been able to draw a line under the Note 7 fiasco.

The South Korean firm expects fourth-quarter operating profit to hit a more than three-year high, driven by booming chip sales. That forecast pushed Samsung’s share price to a record high this month.

Samsung will announce its final earnings figures on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin and Se Young Lee; Additional reporting by Dahee Kim; Editing by Stephen Coates)

Tags: , , ,

Samsung Electronics to reveal Galaxy Note 7 probe results ‘very soon’

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, January 6th, 2017

File photo.

File photo.

Samsung Electronics America’s President and Chief Operating Officer Tim Baxter said on Wednesday the South Korean company was doing everything to make sure the problems with the Galaxy Note 7 do not reoccur and said the results of a probe into the smartphone fires will be made public ‘very soon.’

“As you know, this year was a challenging year for Samsung. Some of you were directly impacted and certainly many saw the media coverage, especially about the Note 7. We continue our intensive efforts, internally and with third party experts to understand what happened and to make sure it does not happen again. And very soon we will be sharing the root cause report on the Note 7,” Baxter said.

It was reported on Monday that Samsung would announce, this month, the results of an investigation into what caused some of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones to catch fire.

The South Korean firm said in October it was examining all aspects of the phone, suggesting there may be a combination of factors that contributed to one of the costliest product safety failures in tech history.

The world’s top smartphone maker warned of a $5.1 billion hit to its operating profit over three quarters following its decision to permanently halt Galaxy Note 7 sales in October.

Investors and analysts have said it is critical for Samsung to identify the root cause of the fires in order to rebuild consumer trust and avoid repeating the same mistakes. — Ninya Armillo | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , , ,

Some customers say they still prefer Samsung

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, October 14th, 2016

A model poses for photographs with a Galaxy Note 7 new smartphone during its launching ceremony in Seoul, South Korea, August 11, 2016. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji/File Photo

A model poses for photographs with a Galaxy Note 7 new smartphone during its launching ceremony in Seoul, South Korea, August 11, 2016. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji/File Photo

 

TAIPEI, Taiwan — Samsung customers around Asia were surging the tech store to return their Galaxy Note 7 devices this week.

Kuala Lumpur Samsung resellers are losing business said mobile shop owner Muhammad Sharil and hopes something will be done to compensate for their losses.

“Samsung gave us a chance to sell their products. So, when this issue cropped up, we were afraid customers would no longer trust Samsung products,” Sharil said. “I hope they can overcome this problem and if possible, Samsung should take the initiative to put out more advertisements and return confidence to their buyers because we are also affected by these incidents.”

Despite major technical problems and risks of the company’s flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, some still say they will continue to trust the brand.

In Shangai, Galaxy Note 7 user Huang Mengjie returned his phone following Samsung’s decision to pull the plug on the device on Tuesday. He chose to replace it with another device from the same brand.

“I still support Samsung because I trust this brand. It can make good cell phones. I exchanged my Note7 for an S7 this time,” Mengjie said.

Other Shangai customers browsing for new Samsung products said they feel the same.

In Taipei, Note7 user Ms. Lu simply decided to exchange her phone for an older model.

“Although it is a little bit of a shame, I still like to use products from the Note series. I think it is pretty handy (…) I didn’t switch to other brands’ products. I still like to use Samsung so I just switched to the Note 5,” Lu said.

Samsung Electronics is now dealing with a huge blow to its reputation and outlook after failing to resolve safety concerns of the defective Note 7 units.

As the company works very hard to recover, it hopes to regain the trust of previous customers. — Amiel Pascual | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,