6 Abu Sayyaf members nabbed in separate NBI operations

Maris Federez   •   June 11, 2019   •   2755

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) presented to the media on Tuesday (June 11) six alleged members of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) who were arrested in separate operations last month.

The NBI said that the six were arrested in Taguig City, Balanga City in Bataan, and Zamboanga City on May 16 and 20.

NBI spokesperson Ferdinand Lavin said, “the six arrested were involved in various terrorist activities, ranging from ambush, kidnap for ransom, bombing in Southern Philippines, and recruitment of other members.”

He added that the arrest stemmed from the intelligence reports that they gathered and have led them to the whereabouts of Azmier Maalum in Taguig City.

The joint operations of the NBI, the Philippine Navy (PN) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) had led to the arrest of Maalum, along with Amar Assan, Musa Tahil Sampang, Jamil Ibrahim, Yong Aming, and Majuk Tahil Amil.

Maalum has several warrants of arrest for eight counts of kidnapping and serious illegal detention of Golden Harvest plantation workers in Basilan in 2001, while Sampang was involved in several bombing incidents also in Basilan.

The NBI said the six had been recruiting members in Metro Manila. (with reports from April Cenedoza) /mbmf

PH Navy redeploys troops at MECQ checkpoints

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 6, 2020

The Philippine Navy on Tuesday (August 4) redeployed its troops to man quarantine checkpoints in areas under the Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ).

The troops are set to aid other law enforcement agencies in ensuring an orderly and strict implementation of quarantine guidelines to prevent the further spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

“The Philippine Navy with the help of its stakeholders will also double its efforts to help the national government combat this unprecedented global pandemic,” the Philippine Navy said in a statement. AAC

Navy confirms BRP Ramon Alcaraz fire

Maris Federez   •   May 9, 2020

MANILA, Philippines— The Philippine Navy has confirmed the fire incident that took place onboard BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PS16) on Thursday night (May 7) just a few hours after it departed Port of Cochin, India bound for Manila.

In a statement issued on Friday, the Navy said the vessel was in convoy with BRP Davao del Sur (LD602).

Naval Public Affairs Office Acting Director, LCdr. Maria Christina Roxas, said initial investigation showed that the fire that broke at the main engine room was put out in 10 minutes but injured two personnel with second degree burns and caused minor damage in some equipment.

“This unfortunate incident could have been worse if not for the promptness of our PN personnel in responding to the fire incident. We recognize the gallant efforts of our personnel in responding to the emergency situation in spite of the dangers involved. Rest assured that the safety and welfare of our personnel is of paramount importance,” Roxas added.

One of the two sailors who were injured in the fire is now receiving treatment in an Indian medical facility, while the other is in sickbay aboard the vessel.

Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin N. Lorenzana, in a statement released on Saturday, said the vessel has returned to Cochin, India, reaching the port under its own power and unassisted as it only sustained minor damage.

He added that the US Navy’s Naval Systems Command (NAVSEA) will assist in the repair of the BRP Alcaraz since the vessel was acquired from the US.

“We will also use existing diplomatic mechanisms and our defense cooperation agreement with India to facilitate and expedite work on the ship so that it can return to the country in the shortest time possible,” Lorenzana concluded. —/mbmf

PH Navy distributes sacks of rice to residents of Baseco Compound

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 15, 2020

The Philippine Navy (PN) ensures its commitment to support the government’s efforts in addressing the impact of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID19) crisis.

The Navy said it distributed sacks of rice to residents of Baseco Compound in Tondo, Manila on Sunday (April 12).

“The PNs special operators utilized four inflatable boats to thread the Pasig River and distribute sacks of rice to 260 families settling in the area using 10-foot pole hooks to extend their reach,” the Philippine Navy said in a statement.

Fleet commander Rear Adm. Loumer Bernabe said the Philippine Navy will continue to support the government in its effort to aid citizens affected by the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).

“The whole PN assets are readily available to help aid the government in its effort to address the impact of this COVID19 in the country. We will continue to fight this unseen enemy and serve our kababayans in this crisis,” he said. AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.