5,000 pampasaherong jeep sa Metro Manila, posibleng payagang pumasada simula June 30 – LTFRB

Robie de Guzman   •   June 17, 2020   •   1121

MANILA, Philippines – Aabot sa 5,000 pampasaherong jeep sa Metro Manila ang posibleng payagang muling pumasada simula sa Hunyo 30, ayon sa Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB).

Ayon kay LTFRB chairman Martin Delgra III, isinasapinal na nila ang mga panuntunan para sa 104 rationalized routes ng public utility jeepneys (PUJ) sa National Capital Region.

Aniya, maaaring mailabas ito sa mga susunod na araw.

“We’re looking at on or before the end of the month because y’ong routes po, na-identify na; y’ong numero po, na-identify na. The basic principle here really is we need to have connectivity between the rail, the bus and the jeepneys po,” ani Delgra.

Apela naman ng transport group na Pinagkaisahang Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Operator Nationwide (PISTON), sana ay pinayagan na ring bumiyahe ang mga jeep kasabay ng paglipat sa Metro Manila sa general community quarantine dahil pinahintulutan na rin naman ang pagpasok sa trabaho ng ilang manggagawa.

Ayon kay George San Mateo, ang president emeritus ng PISTON, maraming tsuper ang napilitang mamalimos sa gitna ng quarantine dahil sa kawalan ng kita.

“So, ang epekto nito ay lalong nalulubog y’ong kabuhayan ng ating mga jeepney driver at maliliit na operator lalo pa tatlong buwan na silang walang kabuhayan,” ani San Mateo.

At the same time, nagdurusa din y’ong ating mga kababayang mananakay lalo na ang mga manggagawa dahil pinagkakaitan sila ng pamahalaan ng mga masasakyang public transport,” dagdag pa niya.

Samantala, tiniyak ni Delgra na tuloy na rin sa June 22 ang pagbabalik-operasyon ng modern jeepneys, provincial buses at UV Express Units.

Una nang sinabi ng Department of Transportation (DOTr) na gradual ang pagbabalik-operasyon ng pampublikong transportasyon sa Metro Manila at gagawin ito sa dalawang bahagi.

Sa phase 1, papayagan ang mga tren, bus augmentation, taxi, transport network vehicle service, shuttle service, point-to-point buses at mga bisikleta simula June 1-21 habang phase 2 naman ang public utility buses, modern jeepneys, at UV express simula sa June 22-30.

Ngunit paalala ng ahensya, limitado lang ang bilang ng mga pasaherong maaaring isakay upang mapanatili ang physical distancing at iba pang health protocols. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

DOH warns public on possible airborne transmission of COVID-19

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 10, 2020

The Department of Health (DOH) has warned the public on the possible airborne transmission of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Despite the lack of further studies, the Health Department said they are not dismissing the possibility that COVID-19 might spread in the air. They reminded the public to always adhere to the health and safety protocols.

Patuloy po tayong natututo tungkol sa SARS-CoV-2 at COVID-19. Kabilang na nga po dito ang mode of transmission o paraan ng pagkalat ng COVID-19 (We are continuously learning about SARS-CoV2 and COVID-19. This includes the mode of transmission of COVID-19). It’s an evolving science and new evidence continues to roll out,” according to DOH Spokesperson Maria Rosario Vergeire.

More than 200 scientists urged the World Health Organization (WHO) to acknowledge the possibility of airborne transmission. According to a study, “viruses are released during exhalation, talking and coughing in microdroplets small enough to remain aloft in the air.”

The WHO previously dismissed the possibility of airborne transmission but said they will release a scientific brief summary regarding the collected data on the modes of transmission of COVID-19

“This is a respiratory pathogen and so it is important that what we know is it fits into the guidance that we have, which is why a comprehensive package of interventions is required to be able to stop transmission,” according to WHO Technical Lead on COVID-19 Pandemic Maria Van Kerkhove.

Meanwhile, the DOH said they will also review and verify the evidence and studies about COVID-19 in order to provide appropriate information and advisories to the public.AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

Quezon City Hall of Justice closed after 4 personnel contract COVID-19

Robie de Guzman   •   July 10, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Quezon City Hall of Justice building and its annex will be temporarily shut down after four of its court officers and employees tested positive for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the city government announced on Friday.

The city government said Mayor Joy Belmonte ordered the closure of the buildings for seven days of until the city’s Epidemiological and Disease Surveillance Unit (QC-ESU) has completed the appropriate testing and containment measures.

In her letter to Regional Trial Court Executive Judge Cecilyn Burgos-Villavert and Metropolitan Trial Court Executive Judge Ace Alagar, Belmonte explained that her decision to temporarily shut down the Hall of Justice is to enforce measures during epidemic or outbreak to prevent spread of disease.

QC-ESU head Dr. Rolly Cruz said they will conduct exhaustive contact tracing of all those who were in close contact with the court officers and employees who were found positive and perform follow-up testing as necessary.

Suspected or confirmed COVID-19 cases shall be placed on home quarantine or isolation in a quarantine facility as feasible under the circumstances, he added.

Meanwhile, the city’s Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRRMO) started the thorough surface disinfection and misting of the whole City Hall complex.

The agency said the disinfection began on Thursday and will last until Sunday.

Bolsonaro vetos law on obligatory face masks in Brazil

UNTV News   •   July 10, 2020

Digital: PART MUST COURTESY BRAZIL PRESIDENCY.

President Jair Bolsonaro on Friday (July 3) vetoed parts of a law that would have made wearing a face mask obligatory in enclosed spaces where large groups gather, as swathes of Brazil struggle to tame new infections of the coronavirus.

“Today there were various vetoes for legislation that spoke of the obligatory use of face masks, including inside the home. I vetoed (them). No one is going to enter a home and give a fine. I could also have got a fine because I am now without a mask,” he said.

Bolsonaro has regularly flouted social distancing guidelines advised by most health experts, shaking hands and embracing supporters. He has said publicly that his past as an athlete makes him immune to the worst symptoms of the virus.

He has also been widely criticised by health experts for downplaying the severity of the virus which he has dismissed as just “a little flu.” Bolsonaro has pressured governors and mayors for months to reverse lockdown measures and reopen the economy.

Bolsonaro’s veto comes as Brazil nears 1.5 million confirmed coronavirus cases on Friday. The virus continues to ravage Latin America’s largest country even as cities reopen bars, restaurants and gyms sparking fears infections will keep rising.

Brazil has the world’s second largest outbreak after the United States and the virus has killed over 60,000 people in the country.

In Rio alone, more than 6,600 people have died of COVID-19 in the past four months. Only 14 countries in the world have a death toll higher than the city. Intensive care units in public hospitals are at 70% capacity.

Sao Paulo, Brazil’s largest and worst-hit city, is expected to open bars and restaurants next week. (Reuters)

(Production: Sergio Queiroz, Leonardo Benassatto, Pablo Garcia, Leandra Camera, Paul Vieira)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.