Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

48 Filipino victims of human trafficking in Abu Dhabi to arrive home, Friday

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, January 12th, 2018

Forty-eight (48) overseas Filipino workers are set to arrive in the country from Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

The OFWs hold visit visas and have been victims of human trafficking in Abu Dhabi.

Through the Philippine government’s repatriation program, their documents were processed for them to be able to come home to the Philippines.

Philippine Ambassador to UAE Constancio Vingno Junior said they are taking all the necessary measures to help these OFWs, adding a number of Filipinos are being accommodated in the Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi.

“We can only accommodate so much here, and it’s not a healthy environment if at any more time we had 200 people here. We have so little space that’s why we are trying our best repatriate on a weekly basis,” Ambassador Vingno said.

The new batch of repatriated OFW’s is expected to arrive in the country Friday morning. – UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , ,

Filipinos in Saudi Arabia reminded of punishment over spreading rumors, fake news

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, October 22nd, 2018

 

Saudi flag flying over consulate building | REUTERS

KINGDOM OF SAUDI ARABIA – The Philippine Embassy in Riyadh has warned Filipinos in the Kingdom to “avoid producing, spreading, or sharing electronically, anything that compromises public order, religious values, public morals and privacy.”

In an advisory released October 17, the Embassy said the Saudi government considers these activities as cyber crimes.

Those who will be caught guilty of the practice will be punished with imprisonment of up to five years and payment of fines up to three million Saudi riyals or about P43 million.

The advisory further stated that similar penalty will be applied if rumors and fake news are prepared and shared electronically, or if said information remains stored in a computer and in various social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Messenger and Instagram among others. – Marje Pelayo

Tags: , ,

Belize under state of emergency; Filipinos warned

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, September 19th, 2018

People gather on a tourist boardwalk in Belize City. Jose Cabezas/REUTERS

PASAY CITY, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has issued an advisory to overseas Filipino workers in Belize, a country in Central America, following the recent declaration of a state of emergency due to increasing criminal and gang activities.

Filipino Ambassador to Mexico Demetrio Tuason said the declaration was due to six murders recorded between August 31 to September 1.

The DFA said the measure was intended to ensure the safety of the public during Belize’s National Day celebration this month.

The advisory states that: “Under the state of emergency, authorities are authorized to incarcerate suspects for 30 days and suspected or known members of gangs may be detained for up to seven days without specific charges.”

The DFA, citing Philippine Honorary Consul in Belize Mikhal Arguelles, said the situation in Belize City is “calm and peaceful,” except in the two south side communities along George and Banak Streets, where the violence is happening.

There were no Filipinos affected by the violence, so far, but the Embassy asked all 97 Filipinos in Belize to exercise caution at all times. – UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: , ,

DFA: P5,000 cash aid available at NAIA Terminals until 10pm, August 24

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, August 24th, 2018

PASAY CITY, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reminds overseas Filipino workers stranded by the runway accident at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) to claim their P5,000 cash aid until 10:00 p.m. today (August 24) at all three terminals within the airport complex.

Those outside the airport premises, however, may claim the cash aid at DFA Office of Migrant Workers Affairs in Pasay City only until 5:00 p.m.

Those who already left the country, meanwhile, may claim the cash assistance from Philippine embassies and consulates in their host countries until September 30, 2018.

Based on figures released by the DFA, a total of 559 affected workers availed the cash aid as of yesterday (August 23). – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Nel Maribojoc)

Tags: , ,