Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

400 children who received Dengvaxia injection, tested positive of dengue

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Saturday, January 27th, 2018


MANILA, Philippines — Based on the figures released by the Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday, 725 children had been hospitalized due to the adverse effects of the anti-dengue vaccine Dengvaxia from March 2016 to January 2018.

More than half of them were confirmed to have contracted dengue.

The DOH is also examining 26 Dengvaxia related deaths.

“From March 2016 to January 19, the reported death was 21 but from this week since last week until this week we have another of five deaths a total of 26,” said DOH Asec Ma. Francia Laxamana.

Meanwhile, experts from the UP-PGH conducted another meeting to finalize the report it will release in line with the clinical analysis it conducted on the anti-dengue vaccine.

The DOH Region 11 also calls on private pediatricians to submit the list of their patients who received the controversial Dengvaxia.

Although the region of Davao was not part of the pilot testing area, 200 children there were vaccinated by private doctors.

“What we did was, we wrote a letter to their association, the Philippine Pediatric Society because they were the ones who did most of the vaccinations. We call on them to give us a list of names,” said Dr. Cleo Fe M. Tabada.

Meanwhile, former Health Sec. Janette Garin has once again emphasized that she is ready to face any liabilities in case the Dengvaxia vaccines can be proven to cause negative side effects to individuals without prior dengue infection.

“Sa parte ko naman ay paninidigan ko na ito ay deisisyon ng buong institution, ginawa namin base sa datos ng panahon na iyon at base sabatayan na patuloy nadumarami ang nagkaka-dengue at ito ay walang gamot,”said Garin.

(For my part, I affirm that this was the decision of the whole institution. We did it based on the available data at that time, and on the fact that the number of dengue infections was increasing, and that there was no cure.) — Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue

 

Tags: , , ,

Piccolo tops list of dangerous firecrackers, causes of injuries

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, December 27th, 2018

 

MANILA, Philippines —  The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Department of Health (DOH) remind the public to avoid firecracker disasters in welcoming the new year.

Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo said that they want to reduce the number of firecracker victims this year.

Last year, there were 463 recorded firecracker-related injuries, which was 164 lower than 627 cases in 2016.

“Mag-iingat lang. Ang common kasi yung puputok habang hawak pa or kinabukasan nagkaka-injuries din tayo kasi ang mga bata naman ay mamumulot, titingnan kung alin yung mga hindi pumutok tapos tsaka sila masasabugan. Kung sinindihan natin at ‘di sya sumabog hayaan na natin at wag na natin siyang balikan,” said Domingo.

Piccolo topped the list of the main causes of firecracker injury followed by kwitis and other unidentified firecrackers.

Manila had the highest number of firecracker-related injuries with 116 cases or 47% while Quezon City had 30 or 12%.

Eighteen (18) cases were hand fractures; 80 were eye injuries; and 377 were firecracker burns.

Authorities remind that the banned firecrackers include Watusi, Piccolo, and over sized and loud firecrackers such as Super Lolo, Goodbye Philippines, Giant Whistle Bomb and others.

“We are intensifying our intelligence efforts para as much as possible ay hindi lang yung streets and also the source. Hindi mo kailangang gumawa ng paputok para hulihin ka by mere possession of those phosphorous item are already prohibited and punishable by law,” said PNP FEO Director PCSupt. Val De Leon.

De Leon said that if the public cannot be stopped on firecracker use, authorities recommend the use of approved firecrackers in designated firecracker zones in every barangays. —  Marje Pelayo (with reports from Bernard Dadis)

Tags: , , , , ,

Dengvaxia ban likely to extend for more than a year – DOH

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Tuesday, December 11th, 2018

FILE PHOTO: The controversial dengue vaccine, Dengvaxia

MANILA, Philippines – The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is likely to extend the ban on marketing and sales of Dengvaxia, according to the Department of Health (DOH).

December 29 this year marks the first year since the license of French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi Pasteur was suspended; banning its sale of Dengvaxia in the country.

The DOH believes that since the controversy on the anti-dengue vaccine is not yet closed, the ban on sale of Dengvaxia still remains.

“Iyong one-year suspension ng Dengvaxia CPR is not yet lifted and I do not see it being lifted anytime soon. We still have a lot of pending issues with the vaccine and at this time we do not see it being registered and allowed for marketing in the Philippines…regulatory issues and cases in Court,” said DOH Spokesperson Usec. Eric Domingo.

It will be recalled that the FDA suspended Sanofi for not submitting its post-marketing authorization requirements which were supposed to prove that the products manufactured by the pharmaceutical company are safe to use.

Sanofi also couldn’t assure the safety of Dengvaxia, according to DOH.

The DOH noted that in November 29, 2017, Sanofi released a statement that Dengvaxia is not advisable to be administered to seronegative recipients —children or adults—who never had dengue infection prior to injection for the reason that their cases are likely to develop into severe dengue.

“It cannot be used without testing for children if they had dengue before. And there are no available testing kits commercially to do that. We don’t see naman any use for the vaccine at this time,” Domingo said.

The DOH also argued that the even regulatory agencies in the world that were granted with licenses to use Dengvaxia such as in Brazil, have set restrictions on the use of Dengvaxia on children who never had dengue infection prior to injection.

Hindi na rin sila magbibigay without screening,” Domingo said.

Based on the latest findings of the DOH, about 24 to 25 cases of dengue infection led to death due to severe dengue.

“We’ve seen talagang meron tayong patients who have, na ang mortality nila was due to severe dengue and I think probably from talagang seronegative patients iyon,” the health official said.

Meanwhile, the DOH is still waiting for the approval of Congress regarding the supplemental budget for vaccinees from the refund that Sanofi gave which reached P1.16-B.

Domingo said before the end of the year, the Office of the Solicitor General is likely to file a case against Sanofi Pasteur in line with the Dengvaxia controversy. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

Tags: , ,

DOJ to review PAO plan to upgrade Dengvaxia raps to murder

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, November 9th, 2018

FILE PHOTO: Relatives of Dengvaxia victims crying for Justice

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Thursday (November 8) said that the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) is free to formulate its charges on the Dengvaxia case.

PAO Chief Atty. Persida Acosta said they are preparing the evidence that they will be presenting to the Department of Justice (DOJ) to upgrade the Dengvaxia raps from reckless imprudence resulting in multiple homicide to murder.

Respondents of the case are Sanofi Pasteur and former and incumbent officials of the Department of Health (DOH).

 “Ang elements of murder nandito na sa mga ebidensyang ito,” said Acosta.

But Secretary Guevarra said they will resolve the case on the basis of actual evidence.

“The PAO is free to formulate its charges. But the DOJ will resolve on the basis of actual evidence and nothing else,” Guevarra said.

Some parents of the children who died after being vaccinated with Dengvaxia are crying for justice.

 “Kasama ko sya papunta pgh malakas pa sya nakakalakad pa pagbaba namin sa bus wala na syang malay kala ko tulog lang yun pala nalagutan na sya ng hininga,” said Ellena Baldonado who blames her child’s death to Dengvaxia.

“Mabigat po ang nangyari sa anak ko kasi yung anak ko naturukan ng hindi sa akin humingi ng abiso nalaman ko patay na ang anak ko,” cried Annalyn Ibuña also a mother who lost her child allegedly to Dengvaxia vaccination.

Presidential Spokesperson Sec Salvador Panelo said the Palace vows to charge the people behind the Dengvaxia vaccine program.

The palace also expressed its sympathies to the grieving parents.

Panelo also ensured that the president is monitoring the development of the case. – Grace Casin

Tags: , ,