4 suspected Abu Sayyaf members killed in Parañaque raid

Robie de Guzman   •   June 26, 2020   •   1019

MANILA, Philippines – Four suspected members of terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) were killed in a raid launched by government security forces in Don Bosco, Parañaque City past Friday midnight.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) identified the suspects as Bensaudi Sali alias “Boy,” his wife Merhama Abdul Sawari alias “Mheng,” Rasin Hussin alias “Boscon,” and Jamal Kalliming alias “Pando.”

According to National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) regional director Major General Debold Sinas, the four suspects died during the raid jointly conducted by elements from the PNP and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

Sinas said the team tried to serve a search warrant at the house of the suspects in Better Living Subdivision at 12:26 a.m. when the suspects engaged law enforcers in a firefight.

The security forces retaliated which eventually led to the killing of the suspects.

The police and military said the operation stemmed from the information they received about the presence of members of Daulah Islamiyah, who were tagged as a financial conduit of Daesh-East Asia, in Parañaque City.

Daulah Islamiyah is a faction of the ASG that is affiliated with the Islamic State.

The search warrant against the suspects was issued by Judge Noemi Balitaan of the Parañaque City Regional Trial Court Branch 258 for violation of Republic Act 10591 or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act.

According to reports from the AFP and the PNP, the suspects’ profiles are as follows:

  • Sali was tagged as a member of ASG/Daulah Islamiyah in Sulu. He was a native of Jolo and had been working as a security guard in a residential condominium in Parañaque.
  • His wife, Sawari was tagged as ASG/Daulah Islamiyah-Sulu group’s finance and logislitics facilitator. She was said to be the recipient of money remittance from Indonesian ISEA facilitator Yoga Fabrianto who was arrested in Sabah on June 2019.
  • Hussin and Kalliming, who were also both working as security guards like Sali, were alleged cohorts of the two ASG members.

The military said that after the operation, authorities recovered from the site three blasting caps, different kinds of wire, two bottles of white and brownish granules (suspected explosives), two revolvers and two pistols with live ammunition, two black ISIS flags, two hand grenades, one M16 rifle, and one electric match.

The PNP said the encounter also resulted in the wounding of Police Corporal Ehrol Gamboa, who is now receiving treatment for the gunshot wounds he sustained on both legs.

PNP chief Police General Archie Gamboa said crime scene investigators are thoroughly sifting through the recovered evidence while a complete investigation has been ordered into the circumstances surrounding the presence of the alleged Abu Sayyaf members in Metro Manila. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

No holiday truce with communist rebels, AFP says

Robie de Guzman   •   December 3, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Thursday said it will not recommend to President Rodrigo Duterte a ceasefire with the communist rebels this holiday season.

In a statement, AFP spokesperson Major General Edgard Arevalo said that many times in the past, the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and its armed wing, the New People’s Army (NPA), have shown its “incapacity for sincerity” as they allegedly continue with their hostile acts despite the ceasefire declaration.

“This was the AFP’s painful experience where the communist terrorist group reneged from their own ceasefire declaration by attacking and killing soldiers on humanitarian and peace and development missions,” Arevalo said.

“During the incumbency of a truce, these terrorists continued their extortion activities and committed crimes of murder, arson, and the likes,” he added.

The military official said the communist rebels only venture on peace talks to “give themselves the chance to regroup, refurbish, recruit new members, and recoup their losses.”

Arevalo also claimed that Luis Jalandoni, a National Democratic Front negotiator, had supposedly declared that they push for peace negotiations not really to bring peace but to pursue armed struggle.

“And with these many hard lessons of the past, we will not allow them to trample upon our people’s bona fide desire for peace – not this holiday season – not until we have decisively defeated this menace to society,” he added.

Arevalo, however, said that the AFP would support the decision of President Rodrigo Duterte despite their position on the matter.

Last year, the government and the CPP-NPA both declared a truce during the holiday season, from December 23, 2019 to January 7, 2020.

Alleged Cotabato mall bomber killed in clash with police

Aileen Cerrudo   •   December 2, 2020

The alleged mastermind of the mall bombing in Cotabato in 2018 died in an encounter with the police on Tuesday (December 1).

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has confirmed that Abraham Abad Abdulrahman alias Abu Suffian died in a gun battle with a composite police team implementing a Search Warrant in Barangay Bagua 2, Cotabato City.

During the operation, Abu Suffian resisted during the lawful search and engaged the police team in a firefight.

Six minor children were rescued from the area of encounter. The raiding team recovered a 60mm high-explosive mortar projectile, IED components, and a motorcycle.

PNP Chief, Police General Debold Sinas urged other PNP units to intensify efforts against terrorist personalities belonging to domestic and transnational threat groups. AAC

PNP, may bagong listahan ng narco-cops – Sinas

Robie de Guzman   •   December 1, 2020

Philippine National Police chief General Debold Sinas

MANILA, Philippines – Kinumpirma ni Philippine National Police (PNP) chief General Debold Sinas na may hawak silang bagong listahan ng mga pulis na umano’y sangkot sa operasyon ng iligal na droga sa bansa.

Sa ekslusibong ulat ni UNTV Correspondent Lea Ylagan, sinabi ni Sinas na may  ranggo ang mga pulis na nakasama sa listahan ngunit tumanggi siyang tukuyin ang mga ito, kung saan naka-assign pati na ang pangalan ng mga tinaguriang narco-cops.

“Halo na po yan. Kaunti na lang yan pero hindi na muna namin pangalanan at sabihiin ang ranggo kasi baka magtanungan eh,” ang pahayag ng hepe ng pambansang pulisya.

Ayon kay Sinas, ang listahan ay batay sa nakalap na intelligence report patuloy pa itong isinasailalim sa validation process.

Isasalang din aniya ito sa adjudication process gaya ng ginawa sa termino ng nag-retiro nang si PNP chief General Archie Gamboa.

Sa panahon ni Gamboa, aabot sa 357 pulis ang napabilang sa sinasabing narco-list.

“Ito lang naman ay more on intelligence report, bina-validate, evaluated, confirmed, re-confirmed… Ganoon po ang proseso natin. Pagdating sa DI ay ina-adjudicate kung totoo nga o hindi para finally remain them in the list or to remove them,” ang wika ni Sinas.

Sakaling makumpirmang sangkot nga sa operasyon ng iligal na droga ang mga nasa listahan at may sapat na ebidensiya at testigo ay sasampahan ang mga ito ng kaukulang kaso. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.