4 scammers illegally recruiting OFWs to New Zealand nabbed
by UNTV | Posted on Tuesday, March 27th, 2018
The four scammers illegally recruiting overseas Filipino workers to New Zealand
MANILA, Philippines — Authorities were able to arrest in July 2017 the leader of a syndicate that recruits OFWs seeking to work in New Zealand. The leader is identified as Marivel Equio.
However, she walked free after paying P 90,000 to the three complainants.
Earlier on Tuesday, operatives of Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-Anti-Transnational Crime Unit (CIDG-ATCU) re-arrested her through an entrapment operation at the Harrison Plaza Manila after receiving complaints on a similar modus operandi.
The suspect allegedly demanded P 60,000 from victims as placement fee.
“May opisina po kami sa New Zealand. Sa Pilipinas po wala. Ang company po ay hindi po talaga nakaregister sa POEA. Direct hire nga po,” said Equio.
(We have an office in New Zealand. We don’t have one in the Philippines. The company is really not registered in the POEA. It’s direct hire.)
Earlier, members of the syndicate identified as Cristina Limon and Nathaniel Camacho were arrested in Paranaque, while Edith Rico was arrested in West Avenue Quezon City.
Some of the victims said that the promised New Zealand flight of the suspects in the first and third week of March did not happen.
“Yung iba po ay kinuhanan nila ng motor para lang ipambayad. House and lot binibigay sa kanya, sinasanla para may pang placement fee sila kaya kailangan po napagbayad sila sa kasalanan nila. Mabulok sila sa bilangguan,” said Gemma Piscuela, one of the victims of the recruitment scam.
(They even get a motorcycle from one of the victims as payment. Others pawned their houses to pay the placement fee. They have to pay for their crimes. It’s their fault. They should rot in jail.)
CIDG-ATCU chief PSupt. Roque Merdegia Jr. said that the suspects were able to swindle money worth around P 1,000,000 from almost 50 victims.
This prompted them to file illegal recruitment and estafa charges against them.
Merdegia reminded the victims to stand firm on their complaints.
“Wag magpadala sa areglo. Kung magsasampa ng kaso ay ituloy para makulong na ito ng tuluyan at hindi na makalabas ng kulungan,” said the police officer.
(Don’t be swayed by a settlement. If you will file a case, follow through on it so they won’t be able to escape jail.)
The CIDG-ATCU reminded aspiring OFWs not to fall for direct hiring as this system is commonly used by illegal recruiters. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue
Two illegal recruiters arrested by Criminal Investigation and Detection Group -Anti Transnational Crime Unit (CIDG-ATCU)
The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group -Anti Transnational Crime Unit (CIDG-ATCU) has arrested two illegal recruiters who prey on overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who want to work in Japan.
The suspects were identified as Levy Mangino, a resident of Pasay City, and Jeffrey Torres, a resident of Pagsanjan, Laguna.
CIDG ATCU CHIEF PSupt. Roque Merdegia Jr. the suspects amassed over a million pesos from more than 100 victims.
“Mahigit 100 ang nabiktima nila. Kung susumahin siguro ay more than a million pesos na ang natanggap nitong mga suspek mula sa maraming biktima,” Merdegia said.
(They’ve scammed almost 100 people. If you sum it up, they have collected more than a million pesos from various victims.)
One of the victims said he already gave the suspects a total of P49,000 supposedly to fund his visa, medical and Nihonggo training, aside from the processing fee the suspects demanded.
However, almost ten months had passed and nothing happened in their job applications. It was too late when they verified through Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) that the agency was unregistered and the suspects were facing multiple charges.
“Estafa at illegal recruitment cases ang kakaharapin ng dalawa at ito ay seryosong paglabag at wala itong kaukulang piyansa,” the official said.
(The two are facing estafa and illegal recruitment cases. These are serious violations and non-bailable.)
Authorities again remind job seekers not to easily give in to unverified job offers and always check with POEA for authorized recruitment agencies. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue
The Philippine Embassy in Kuwait recently reported that they receive not less than five rescue requests each day.
Because of this, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has sent an augmentation team to rescue a number of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) seeking help in the Arab nation.
According to Director Raul Dado, head of the augmentation team, they have already rescued 30 OFWs with different employment issues since their arrival in Kuwait on April 7.
The rescue team admits there are complications in their conduct of rescue operations. This is because some OFWs need to transfer locations as they are victims of human trafficking.
Ohers are being held by employers who do not want to open communication with authorities. But the most challenging cases, according the team, are cases of missing OFWs.
Despite the Kuwaiti government’s extension of its amnesty program from February to April 22, many Filipinos still opt to gamble and stay in the Gulf state even without proper documents.
“Aming hinikayat, ginawa natin lahat ng paraan para makumbinsi sila ngunit ang sinasabi ng iba, gusto pa rin nila magpatuloy na magtrabaho ng part time kahit pinaalalahanan na pagkatapos ng amnesty, simula sa April 23 ay magkakaroon na malawakang crackdown,” Philippine Ambassador to Kuwait Renato Pedro Villa explained.
(We have done everything to convince them but some say they want to continue working part-time. This is despite warnings of a widespread crackdown after the amnesty ends on April 23.)
Based on embassy records, from around 10,000 OFWs without proper documents or expired visa, only around 5,500 have applied for amnesty and repatriation.
Since February this year, a total of 4,515 distressed workers have already been repatriated from Kuwait. — Sonny delos Reyes | UNTV News & Rescue
MIAA General Manager Eddie Monreal assures investigation of alleged robbery committed against an OFW.
MANILA, Philippines — An overseas Filipino worker (OFW) was allegedly robbed of valuable items from her luggage when she arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Office (NAIA) Terminal 3 last Saturday.
Laptop, perfumes, and chocolates were allegedly missing from her airline luggage.
Based on the complaint, the OFW flew from Hong Kong on board Cebu Pacific flight 5J113.
When she arrived at the terminal, she immediately discovered that her valuable items were missing from her bag.
She promptly informed the airline company of the incident.
In the released statement of Cebu Pacific, they are now coordinating with the ground handlers of Hong Kong International Airport to track where the items first went missing.
However, in the initial investigation of Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA), the weight of the complainant’s luggage when she checked in was the same weight as when she checked out of the airport.
MIAA is currently looking into the case and who may be behind it . — Mai Bermudez | UNTV News & Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.