397 local execs facing raps, 663 under probe for alleged SAP anomalies

Robie de Guzman   •   June 17, 2020   •   374

MANILA, Philippines – A total of 397 barangay and local government officials are now facing criminal charges for their alleged involvement in anomalies in the distribution of the first tranche of cash aid under the government’s Social Amelioration Program (SAP), the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said.

The DILG also reported that around 663 individuals, including elected barangay and local government officials have been subjected to police investigation.

“The rest, 396, are other government employees or civilian accomplices of those elected local officials. Of the total 663 individuals, so far, we have filed criminal cases against 397 of them,” DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said in a statement.

Año said more cases are expected to be filed against corrupt barangay officials as the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) is now conducting case build-up and investigation on 67 cases.

“Marami pang kasunod ito. Ang datos na ito ay mula April 1 hanggang June 16 pa lamang kaya doon sa mga gumawa ng kalokohan noong unang pamimigay ng SAP, sinasabi ko sa inyo na hindi kayo makakalusot,” he said.

The DILG also assured the 460 complainants who reported the anomalies to the PNP that it will pursue those cases with the help of the Department of Justice.

“Paalala lang po sa ating mga lokal na opisyal lalo na iyong mga inihalal ng taumbayan, ‘wag ninyo pong ipagpalit ang tiwala ng publiko sa inyo sa kahit anumang halaga. Public trust is priceless. Let’s remain true to our oath as public servants,” the department said.

Next PNP Chief: DILG’s Año to recommend 5 names to Duterte

Robie de Guzman   •   August 7, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año is set to submit to President Rodrigo Duterte his shortlist of candidates to be the next chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP).

In an exclusive interview with UNTV News, Año said his list would consist of five names – three of them are three-star generals and are members of the PNP command group. The remaining two would be two-star and one-star generals but he has yet to pick the names of those he will recommend to the president.

“Sa ngayon, pare-parehas sila eh. Pero for sure, yung mga 3-star [generals] kasama yan sa ire-recommend ko. Pag-aaralan ko pa yung mga 2-star at 1-star na pwede isama sa listahan but I will submit five names,” he said.

Año said he will submit the list at least a week before the mandatory retirement of PNP chief General Archie Gamboa.

Gamboa will bow out of the police service when he reaches the mandatory retirement age of 56 on September 3.

“Normally, mga two weeks to one week before magsusubmit na ulit ako ng pangalan sa Pangulong Duterte kung sino mga ire-recommend ko, pero ibig sabihin naman nun, ang Pangulong Duterte pwedeng pumili anybody from one-star to three-star,” the DILG chief said.

Whoever will be chosen from the five would inherit a PNP that is among the country’s frontliners in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

All generals in the police force are eligible to be promoted to the police’s top post. The president may also choose a general outside the shortlist given by Año to be his next police chief.

When asked about the possible extension of Gamboa’s term as PNP chief amid the public health crisis, Año replied with: “Palagay ko naman wala na siguro kasi bawal naman ang extension kasi, so we have to follow the law,” he said. “Ang organization naman kasi dynamic, naka-lay out naman dyan ang direction plans kahit naman sino umupo diyan, itutuloy nya lang yung programs.”

Among the three-star generals and members of command group of the PNP are deputy chief for administration Lieutenant General Camilo Cascolan, deputy chief for operations Lieutenant General Guillermo Eleazar, and chief directorial staff Lieutenant General Cesar Hawthorne Binag.

Cascolan belongs to the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Sinagtala Class of 1986, while both Eleazar and Binay belong to PMA Hinirang Class of 1987.

Cascolan will retire in November 2020, Eleazar in November 2021, and Binag in April 2021.

Meanwhile, among the two-star and one-star generals whose names might get picked on for the top police post are directorate for operations director Major General Emmanuel Licup, National Capital Region Police Office director Major General Debold Sinas, and Police Regional Office 4A director Brigadier General Vicente Danao Jr.

Both Licup and Sinas belong to the PMA Hinirang class of 1987 while Danao belongs to the PMA Sambisig Class of 1991. – RRD (from the report of Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Pamamahagi ng SAP 2nd tranche sa Metro Manila, tatapusin ngayong linggo – DILG

Robie de Guzman   •   August 5, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Posibleng makumpleto ngayong linggo ang pamamahagi ng ikalawang bugso ng emergency subsidy ng pamahalaan sa ilalim ng Social Amelioration Program (SAP), ayon sa Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

Batay sa datos ng Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), aabot na sa P69.2 bilyong pondo ang naipamahaging para sa 9,771,490 benepisyaryo ng program.

Ayon sa DILG, target ng kagawaran na mabigyan ng ayuda ang nasa halos 12 milyong pamilya bago o pagdating ng Agosto 15.

“Kahapon nag-commit ang DSWD na ibibigay yan sa loob ng linggong ito sa lahat ng benepisyaryo so timing na timing kasi pag sinasabing MECQ hindi makapagrababaho ang tao nandyan ang national para ibigay yung second tranche,” ani DILG spokesperson at Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya.

Ang mga hindi nakatanggap sa unang bugso ng ayuda o ang mga tinatawag na ‘waitlisted’ ay P16,000 ang makukuha.

Kasama rin sa programa ang mga tsuper ng jeep na ilang buwan na ring hindi nakakapamasada dahil sa ipinatutupad na community quarantine sa gitna ng COVID-19 pandemic.

Digital ang pamamahagi ng ayuda sa pamamagitan ng automated teller machine (ATM) card o kaya ay GCash na isang mobile wallet platform na ginagamit sa bansa.

Naniniwala si Malaya na malaking tulong ito sa mga pamilya na mawawalan ng kita dahil sa muling pagsailalim sa modified enhanced community quarantine ng Metro Manila at mga karatig-lugar.

Kaugnay nito, nagbabala naman ang DILG sa publiko na mag-ingat sa naglipana umanong text scam na ginagamit ang SAP.

“Hanggang sa umagang ito, may naloloko sa text dahil sa scam ng social amelioration program. Kami ay nanawagan as taongbayan na pagka nakatanggap kayo ng text at sinasabing taga-DSWD na nag-text sa inyo at kailangang ibigay niyo ang pin huwag na huwag niyong ibibigay ang pin,” ani Malaya. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Dante Amento)

‘Shoot to kill’ threat of QC exec improper, illegal – DILG

Robie de Guzman   •   August 4, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Tuesday blasted the head of the Quezon City Task Force Disiplina for supposedly making a “shoot to kill” threat against violators of quarantine protocols in the city.

In a statement, DILG Spokesperson and Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said the remark allegedly made by Rannie Ludovica was “improper and illegal” as he advised him to refrain from issuing similar statements in the future.

“While we strongly believe that discipline is one of the preventive measures to stop the transmission of the coronavirus, this must be enforced within the bounds of the law and the DILG will not tolerate any possible abuse of authority on the part of law enforcement agencies or enforcement units of local government units,” Malaya said.

“The penalties to be imposed by local government units against quarantine violators must be within the bounds of their respective ordinances,” he added.

The DILG official also said that the Quezon City government has disowned the alleged FB post of Ludovica, saying that “it should not be taken literally, if true, and that it was merely an expression of frustration over the growing number of violations in Quezon City.

“Nonetheless, LGU department heads must be circumspect in their social media posts since this may be mistaken by their constituents as official LGU policy,” Malaya said.

In a separate statement posted on his social media account, Ludovica said his post was personal and that the city government has no shoot to kill policy against quarantine violators.

“Nagmula ang nasabing personal na Facebook post ng inyong lingkod sa aking pagkadismaya sa pagbalik natin mula sa GCQ to MECQ. Patuloy na tumataas ang bilang ng COVID-19 sa lungsod at buong bansa dahil sa kawalan ng disiplina ng karamihan sa ating mga mamamayan at paglabag nila sa batas,” he said.

He also called on the public to strictly follow health protocols to help curb the transmission of the virus.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.