3 South Korean nationals wanted for telecom fraud nabbed in PH
Robie de Guzman • August 7, 2020 • 263
MANILA, Philippines – Three South Korean nationals wanted by authorities in Seoul for their involvement in telecommunications fraud have been arrested in the country, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said.
In a statement issued on Thursday, Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente identified the foreigners as Lim Yeongjun, 36; Kwom Hyeoksoo, 49; and Sim Dong Woo, 49.
Morente said the three were arrested last Tuesday, August 4 by joint operatives from the bureau’s Fugitive Search Unit (FSU) and the Philippine National Police.
They were caught inside the office of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group at the Southern Police District (SPD) headquarters in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City where they were taken earlier into custody by policemen.
Morente said the Koreans, who are all overstaying aliens, are subjects of red notices from the Interpol, and that their passports were already revoked by their government.
The BI Chief, however, stressed that the subjects cannot be deported yet as they are facing criminal charges for violating the 1988 Access Device Regulation Act and 2011 Anti-Cybercrime Law.
In fact, the suspects are currently detained at the custodial facility of the CIDG while undergoing criminal investigation prior to the filing of complaints against them in court.
“It is only after these criminal charges are resolved, and upon completion of service of sentence, if they are convicted, that we will be able to deport them,” Morente said.
Information obtained from the BI Interpol Unit revealed that the fugitives operated clandestine call centers in Manila, which they used to trick and defraud their victims.
They allegedly deceived the victims by pretending that they are agents of lending institutions, and persuading the former to repay their loans in advance in order to avail of lower interest.
Korean authorities said the three suspects amassed from their phishing activities more than 80 million won or roughly more than US$67,000, which the unsuspecting victims deposited into the suspects’ bank accounts.
“Consequently, we’re not only able to bring these criminals to justice. We also prevented them from using our country as a refuge so they could evade prosecution for their crimes. Besides, their presence here poses a threat to our people’s welfare and safety,” Morente said.
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Monday announced it has opened a quarantine facility to house foreign detainees with mild to moderate symptoms of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The BI said its Ligtas COVID Centre is located inside the New Bilibid Prison Compound in Muntinlupa City.
The facility can accommodate 30 to 60 persons and will be staffed by medical personnel and guarded by the officers of the BI Warden Facility (BIWF) 24/7.
The BI said it is also planning to install CCTV cameras in the ward, similar to those in hospitals, for remote monitoring and to lessen physical contact.
The project is in partnership with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the Department of Justice and the Bureau of Corrections, the bureau said.
BIWF chief Remiecar Caguiron said they used to isolate foreign detainees with COVID-19 symptoms in the custodial quarters of their detention facility at Camp Bagong Diwa, adding that this setup poses a big risk for both the personnel and detainees of contracting the disease.
“We have very limited space in our warden facility, and the number of detained aliens remain high. That’s why this isolation ward lessens the risk, and is a big help in ensuring the health and safety of everyone in the BIWF,” she said.
There are currently 315 aliens detained at the BIWF for various immigration offenses.
The number of detainees ballooned following the BI’s crackdown on large companies that hired illegal aliens earlier this year.
The BI earlier reported that they moved to decongest the detention center as early as April this year.
Caguiron said more than a hundred aliens have already been deported since April, while at-risk detainees have been released on bail.
“Overcrowding in the facility is a health risk, and we want to ensure that we mitigate this risk and stop the spread of this disease though the help of this isolation facility,” she said.
The BI said five aliens have so far tested positive for coronavirus but most of them are now recovering from the viral respiratory disease.
MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Immigration has announced that US Marine Lance Corporal Joseph Scott Pemberton was successfully deported from the Philippines on Sunday morning, September 13.
Immigration spokesperson Dana Sandoval said in an interview that the military plane that carried Pemberton took off from the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) at exactly 9:14 a.m. He was accompanied by members of the US military and representatives of the US embassy.
The BI official, however, stressed authorities cannot disclose the specific state of Pemberton’s destination for security reasons.
Pemberton was convicted of homicide for killing Filipino transgender Jennifer Laude in 2014.
He was released by virtue of the absolute pardon granted to him by President Rodrigo Duterte after five years into his service of a six-to-10-year prison sentence.
Meanwhile, the US Embassy in the Philippines on Sunday also released an official statement on Pemberton’s release.
“All legal proceedings in the case took place under Philippine jurisdiction and law,” it read.
“Lance Cpl. Pemberton fulfilled his sentence as ordered by Philippine courts and he departed the Philippines on September 13,” it added. — /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – The custody of pardoned US Marine Lance Corporal Joseph Scott Pemberton has been transferred on Friday to the Bureau Immigration (BI) from the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).
Pemberton was turned over to the BI custody around 11 a.m. and his BuCor guards were recalled to the New Bilibid Prisons.
The Immigration bureau earlier said it requested to take over the custody of Pemberton to complete the deportation proceedings against him.
The deportation order was issued against Pemberton in 2015 for being an undesirable alien when he was sentenced for the 2014 murder of Filipino transgender Jennifer Laude.
Although he is already under the Immigration bureau, Pemberton will remain at his detention facility inside Camp Aguinaldo as he completes the requirements for his exit from the country.
Foreign nationals who are up for deportation are required to submit clearances from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and regional trial court as proof that they have no more pending criminal or civil cases.
Once these requirements are submitted, the deportee’s flight will then be arranged and scheduled by the BI.
According to BI spokesperson Melvin Mabulac, the immigration legal division has started processing Pemberton’s deportation, and the NBI has already taken his fingerprints and photo for the clearance.
“Ang importante kasi sa implementation ng deportation order, stipulated kasi doon kung ano ang flight na sasakyan at anong araw aalis at anong travel document ang submitted. Very specific yun eh sa implementation ng deportation order,” he said.
Aside from NBI clearance, Pemberton is also waiting for the result of the COVID-19 swab test conducted on him earlier this week.
The United States Embassy in Manila is also expected to submit Pemberton’s travel documents, including passport, itinerary or the actual date of exit from the country depends on his flight arrangements as he is a military personnel of the US. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.