23,000 OFWs test negative for COVID-19 after weeks of quarantine; over 14,000 may go home

Marje Pelayo   •   May 21, 2020   •   1555

MANILA, Philippines — Over 20,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFW) can finally breathe a sigh of relief after weeks of isolation in different quarantine facilities in Metro Manila since they arrived in the country.

This was after the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) confirmed that their tests yielded negative results for coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Over 14,000 of them have been cleared and may now go home to see their families.

Ang panuntunan ay pwede nang gamitin yung e-clearance para bumilis as agreed upon yesterday doon sa aming meeting. Pwedeng i-print at yung na yung gagamitin nila para makaalis na po doon sa kanilang mga hotel,” confirmed PCG Spokesperson Commodore Armand Balilo.

[They may now get an e-clearance to make it expedite the process as agreed upon our meeting yesterday. They may print a copy and present it to the hotel so they can leave.]

Balilo said the agency targets to process their clearances as soon as possible so they can finally travel home. 

Meanwhile, the official said that about 8,000 others are still waiting for their test results.

Balilo also confirmed that from all of the overseas Filipinos who arrived in the country so far, over 500 tested positive for COVID-19 and are currently being treated in government medical facilities. 

The list of names of OFWs with negative COVID-19 results may be viewed through PCG’s social media account. 

On Thursday (May 21), 41 seafarers whose jobs abroad were affected by the pandemic, finally boarded the service vessel which will bring them home to Visayas and Mindanao.

Despite the circumstances, the seafarers said they are just looking on the brighter side of the situation.

They are still thankful that they may now spend more time with their family.

Makakasama (ko na ang mga) bata. Take this opportunity na i-enjoy ang mga bata at ang pamilya, [I can now be with my children. Take this opportunity to enjoy time with the kids and family,” said Terresa Peres.

Sa bahay lang siguro kasi pagdating namin sa Bohol another 14 days na naman na quarantine, [I might stay at home because upon arrival in Bohol I will need another 14 days in quarantine],” added Alfonzo Baleleng.

Maraming salamat po sa mga sumuporta, sa nag-a-asikaso po sa amin, at sa agency po namin, lalo na sa government po natin na sinisikap po nila na mapauwi tayo lahat dito [I thank everyone for the support, to those who attended to our needs, to our agency and especially to our government for exerting efforts to bring us home],” expressed Vergintino Cagata. MNP (with reports from Rey Pelayo)

Over 15,000 PDLs released from jail amid COVID-19 pandemic – DILG

Robie de Guzman   •   July 3, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – More than 15,000 persons deprived of liberty (PDL) have been released from jail facilities as part of the government’s decongestion program in light of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the DILG said that from March 17 to June 22, a total of 15,322 PDLs were released from jail facilities supervised by the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP).

Of this number, 5,910 were from the National Capital Region; 1,557 from CALABARZON; 1,487 from Central Visayas; 1,041 from Central Luzon; 897 from Zamboanga Peninsula; 762 from Northern Mindanao; and the rest are from other regions.

Around 1,312 of these PDLs were released because of the new Supreme Court guidelines issued to decongest the jails.

Majority of these released inmates are elderly and those who committed light or bailable offenses, the DILG said.

“All of these PDLs were released by authority of the courts with some released in accordance with new guidelines issued by the Supreme Court because of the pandemic,” DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said.

“Ang paglaya ng libo-libong PDLs ay patunay na hindi sila nakakaligtaan at hindi pinapabayaan. Patunay rin itong gumagana ang justice system sa bansa kahit pa man may pandemya,” he added.

Año issued the statement in response to the claim of leftist groups that the government is not doing enough to decongest the jails.

The DILG chief also said that the BJMP established COVID-19 isolation centers with medical staff in the regions despite budgetary and personnel limitations. These isolation facilities were put up with the support from the Department of Health, local government units.

Six Ligtas COVID Centers with 918-bed capacity are established in strategic areas, particularly in Quezon City, San Fernando City, Cebu City, Mandaue City, Pagbilao in Quezon province, and Zamboanga City, Año said.

He added that the bureau also intensified its triaging process, provision of more focused medical care to patients, conduct of daily disinfection of jails, targeted and expanded testing, and massive health education campaigns inside jails.

“These are on top of the usual precautionary measures such as wearing of face mask, thermal scanning, use of foot baths, hand washing, and maintaining good hygiene,” he said.

“Kahit pa maraming responsibilidad ang ipinagkakatiwala sa DILG ngayong COVID-19 crisis ay hindi isinasantabi ng Kagawaran at ng BJMP ang PDLs. Tinitiyak namin ang kapakanan at kaligtasan nila,” he added.

The COVID-19 pandemic also affected the country’s jails, with a total of 783 confirmed infections among PDLs and 135 among BJMP personnel.

As of Thursday, July 2, 549 PDLs and 90 bureau personnel have recovered from the viral respiratory disease, Año said.

“Tinututukan po namin ang sitwasyon sa mga BJMP jail sa buong bansa at hindi namin pinapabayaan ang mga COVID-19 positive cases. Sa katunayan, marami na ang gumaling at hindi kami bibitaw hanggang bawat isa sa kanila ay maka-recover na,” he said.

The BJMP also expanded the electronic dalaw (e-Dalaw) program in relation to the temporary suspension of visitation in all jail facilities amid the public health crisis.


South Korean city returns to tighter social distancing as coronavirus cases spike

UNTV News   •   July 3, 2020

South Korea reported 63 new coronavirus cases as of Thursday (July 2), most from domestic infections outside Seoul, triggering the return of tighter social distancing curbs in one city as the spectre of a second wave of the disease worried authorities.

For the first time in almost two months, new daily cases from other cities surpassed those from Seoul area. The southwestern city of Gwangju has recorded more than 50 cases the past few days, prompting the suspension of operations at public facilities such as libraries and museums.

Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun told a meeting on Friday (July 3) that the government is seeking ways to support Gwangju city and immediately upgraded its social distancing guidelines.

The recent spikes are concerning as new clusters are emerging in wide range of areas, making it harder for epidemiological surveys. But with the case numbers still manageable, local governments will each decide whether to upgrade their guidelines, Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip told a briefing.

The new cases took South Korea’s tally to 12,967 with 282 deaths by midnight on Thursday. (Reuters)

(Production: Hyunyoung Yi)

Kim Jong Un says North Korea prevented coronavirus from making inroads

UNTV News   •   July 3, 2020

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un told a meeting of the politburo of the ruling Workers Party the North had stopped the novel coronavirus from making inroads in the country, state news agency KCNA said on Friday (July 3).

“We have thoroughly prevented the inroad of the malignant virus and maintained a stable anti-epidemic situation despite the worldwide health crisis, which is a shining success achieved,” Kim Jong Un said in a statement carried by KCNA.

He warned against self-complacency or relaxation in the anti-epidemic effort and urged North Koreans to maintain “maximum alert,” KCNA said in a statement.

While the reclusive country has not confirmed any infections, its public health ministry has reported all 922 people checked so far have tested negative. Hundreds of people, mostly cargo handlers at seaports and land borders, are regularly quarantined for monitoring.

A politburo meeting on Thursday (July 2) also touched on the construction of the Pyongyang General Hospital, underway in the capital. Kim expressed satisfaction with the project and thanked the builders for making headway under unfavorable conditions. (Reuters)

(Production: Hyunyoung Yi)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.