2018 Bar passers to take oath on June 13 at PICC

Robie de Guzman   •   May 7, 2019   •   2818

The 2016 Bar Exams passers taking oath

MANILA, Philippines – The successful 2018 Bar takers are set to take their oaths as new lawyers of the Philippines on June 13, the Supreme Court (SC) announced on Tuesday (May 7).

In its website, the SC said the oath-taking will take place at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC). Signing in the Roll of Attorneys will start on June 14.

The SC last Friday released the list of law graduates who successfully passed the 2018 Bar exams.

READ: SC releases list of 2018 Bar exam passers

Sean James Borja of the Ateneo de Manila University topped the Bar, along with the graduates from the University of San Carlos, University of the Philippines and De La Salle University-Manila.

The SC said 22.07 percent or 1,800 of the 8,155 examinees passed the 2018 Bar exams. This is slightly lower compared with the 25.55 percent who passed the Bar exams in 2017.

In line with the upcoming oathtaking ceremony, the High Court reminded the Bar passers to secure their clearances from the Office of the Bar Confidant (OBC).

“The Supreme Court today reminded all successful 2018 Bar examinees to promptly secure their clearances from the Office of the Bar Confidant (OBC) in time for their June 13, 2019 oathtaking at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC),” it said.

The SC said the Bar passers only have until June 10 to secure their clearances, the process of which started on Tuesday (May 7).  

“The High Court, through the OBC, said that the successful Bar examinees have only until June 10, 2019, Monday, as the new deadline to secure their clearances from the OBC,” the SC said.

“They are directed to prepare P6,050 (P3,850 for oath fees and P2,200 for Integrated Bar of the Philippines [IBP] dues, including building fund). For clearance, each is advised to bring three (3) valid identification cards (IDs): one for security and the two for presentation to the OBC,” it added.

The 2018 Bar exams, which was the 117th held in the country, was conducted at the University of Santo Tomas last November.

A total of 8,155 law graduates took the 2018 Bar exams, the highest so far in the history of the Bar exams.

Supreme Court extends physical closure of courts in NCR Plus until April 18

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 10, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—Physical courts in the National Capital Region (NCR) Plus will remain closed until April 18, the Supreme Court (SC) announced on Saturday (April 10).

Based on SC Administrative Circular no. 21-2021, all courts in the NCR Plus will continue to operate through videoconferencing and judges can conduct fully remote hearings online.

“Considering the unbated rise of COVID-19 cases, the requests of judges and court personnel, and upon the concurrence of the members of the court en banc; all the courts and judicial offices in the National Capital Judicial Region and the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal shall remain physically closed until April 18,” the circular reads.

The SC said its offices in the NCR Plus can be reached via hotline and email addressed posted on its website.

Meanwhile, the time for filing and service of pleadings and motions during this period is suspended and shall resume “seven calendar days counted from the first day of physical reopening of the relevant court.” AAC

 

JBC now accepting application for SC justice post after Gesmundo’s CJ appointment

Robie de Guzman   •   April 8, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) announced it is now accepting applications and recommendations for the vacant Supreme Court Associate Justice post following the recent promotion of Alexander Gesmundo as Chief Justice.

In a document posted by the Supreme Court Public Information Office, the JBC said applications and recommendations for the said post, as well as the documentary requirements, will be accepted until May 10.

“Interested applicants must visit the official JBC website and access the online application scheduler between 8 a.m. and 12 midnight, not later than May 10,” the JBC said.

Among the documentary requirements that must be submitted are application letter or recommendation letter with conforme, Personal Data Sheet, transcript of law school records, PSA issued birth certificate, certificates of admission to the Bar with Bar rating, employment, clearances from the Office of the Ombudsman, National Bureau of Investigation, Philippine National Police, medical exam results, income tax returns, and Statement of Assets, Liabilities and Net Worth.

The JBC said that the digitized versions of the documentary requirements they will submit must be “complete” and “accurate.”

The JBC is a constitutional office that accepts, screens, and nominates appointments to the judiciary.

It will then submit a list of nominees to President Rodrigo Duterte for selection.

Duterte has 90 days from vacancy to appoint a new SC magistrate.

Next oral argument on anti-terror act to be held via videoconferencing, Supreme Court says

Robie de Guzman   •   April 8, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court (SC) on Thursday said that the next oral arguments on petitions questioning the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 will be held virtually.

The SC Clerk of Court said the continuation of oral arguments will be conducted through videoconferencing with live audio streaming made available to the public.

“The technical details and the rules for the videoconferenced oral arguments pro hac vice shall be promulgated as soon as the Court En Banc is able to convene,” it said.

The Supreme Court earlier said that oral arguments on the anti-terror act will resume two weeks after the lifting of the enhanced community quarantine being enforced in Metro Manila and four nearby provinces.

Metro Manila and the provinces of Cavite, Bulacan, Laguna, and Rizal – collectively called NCR Plus – were initially placed under ECQ from March 29 to April 4 in a bid to curb the rise in COVID-19 cases.

The national government later extended the ECQ period to April 11.

The high court last held oral arguments session on March 2.

It previously suspended scheduled oral arguments on the anti-terrorism act due to COVID-related concerns.

The next session of proceedings will be presided by newly installed Supreme Court Chief Justice Alexander Gesmundo.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.