2018 Bar exam results out on May 3 — Supreme Court

Robie de Guzman   •   May 1, 2019   •   4674

File photo: Bar examiners search for their names on the list of Bar passers

MANILA, Philippines – The results of the 2018 Bar examination will be released on May 3, the Supreme Court (SC) Public Information Office announced on Wednesday (May 1).

In an advisory, the SC PIO said the magistrates will hold a special En Banc session to deliberate on the exam results.

“The results of the 2018 Bar Examinations will be released on May 3, 2019, Friday, after approval by the Supreme Court En Banc in a special session,” the SC’s Information Office said.

SC Associate Justice Mariano del Castillo, chairperson of the 2018 Bar Exams Committee, will announce the results at the SC front yard in Padre Faura Street in Manila.

“The list of successful examinees will then be posted and may be viewed at the SC website http://sc.judiciary.gov.ph/, the official website of the Supreme Court of the Philippines, and its designated mirror sites,” the SC PIO added.

The list of successful Bar examinees will also be shown in an LED wall.

The 2018 Bar exams were held at the University of Santo Tomas last November.

A total of 8,155 law graduates took the 2018 Bar exams, the highest so far in the history of the Bar exams.

The 2018 Bar examination is the 117th held in the Philippines. — Robie de Guzman (with details from Mai Bermudez)

Supreme Court Chief Justice Peralta to retire early

Robie de Guzman   •   December 1, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Supreme Court Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta will retire a year early than his compulsory retirement, a high court official said Tuesday.

Supreme Court spokesperson Atty. Keith Hosaka said Peralta confirmed to him his intention to avail of early retirement but “did not elaborate further” on the reason.

“I have asked him personally and he confirmed it. The Chief Justice did not elaborate further but said that he will make a formal announcement in due time,” Hosaka said in a message to reporters.

Peralta will step down from office in March 2021 when he reaches the age of 69. The mandatory retirement age for justices and judges is 70.

Peralta was appointed by President Rodrigo Duterte in October 2019.

When he retires, the Supreme Court’s most senior justices will be automatically nominated for the position subject to their confirmation. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)

Supreme Court to implement 4-day work week starting Dec. 1

Robie de Guzman   •   November 25, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court will adopt a four-day work week scheme for all its officials and employees starting December 1.

In an administrative circular issued by Supreme Court Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta, high court employees will work 10 hours a day or from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. to complete the required 40 hours of work each week.

The justices will decide the operations schedule of their offices but all other high court offices and services will still be open from Mondays to Fridays with at least 80% personnel attendance.

The total number of employees in court offices will be divided into five groups, each comprising 20% of the total number of workers. Alternately, they will have to take one day leave during weekdays.

“Subject to the discretion of the Chiefs of Offices and services, the groupings, new work schedules and supposed rest day/day off may be changed or modified, upon prior notice to the employees,” the circular stated.

The practice of flexible time and overtime work for employees will be cancelled for the time being.

Peralta said the observance of a four-day work week is in line with the directive of the Civil Service Commission in October for implementation during the period of health emergency due to COVID-19 pandemic.

The Chief Justice also required the heads of the Court of Appeals, Sandiganbayan, Court of Tax Appeals, and all trial courts to prepare their guidelines for the workweek schedule.

SC suspends work in all NCR courts on Nov. 13

Robie de Guzman   •   November 12, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court on Thursday said it has ordered the suspension of work in all courts in the National Capital Region on Friday, Nov. 13 due to the devastation brought about by Typhoon Ulysses.

The work suspension, ordered by Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta, also covers the Judicial and Bar Council, the Philippine Judicial Academy, and the Presidential Electoral Tribunal, the Supreme Court Public Information Office said.

“For affected areas outside the National Capital Judicial Region, the decision to suspend work in the courts rests on the sound discretion of the executive judges,” the announcement read.

Peralta also ordered the presiding justices of the Court of Appeals, the Sandiganbayan, and the Court of Tax Appeals, and the executive judges of the first and second level of courts to determine the extent of the damage to their respective halls of justice, offices, and courtrooms and to submit a report to the Office of the Chief Justice no later than Nov. 20.

If the halls of justice, offices, and courtrooms are functional, the presiding justices and executive judges are directed to ensure that these spaces are clean and safe for the resumption of work in courts on Monday, Nov. 16.

Heavy rains and strong winds brought about by Typhoon Ulysses caused severe flooding in Metro Manila and other parts of Luzon.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.