2 more inmates at Women’s Correctional contract COVID-19 – BuCor

Robie de Guzman   •   April 24, 2020   •   700

MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) on Friday reported that two more persons deprived of liberty (PDL) in the Correctional Institute for Women in Mandaluyong City have tested positive for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

BuCor said the two were part of the same batch tested earlier but their results were only released on Thursday.

The bureau said the COVID-19 positive patients will also be transferred to the quarantine area at the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City.

“They will join their colleagues at the NBP quarantine area (Site Harry) following strict transport protocols,” it said in a statement.

The latest cases bring to 22 the total number of individuals from the facility who contracted the viral disease.

High-profile inmate Raymond Dominguez found dead in Bilibid cell – BuCor

Robie de Guzman   •   February 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Convicted carjacker Raymond Dominguez was found lifeless inside his cell at the New Bilibid Prison (NBP), the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) confirmed Friday.

BuCor Spokesperson Gabriel Chaclag said Dominguez was found dead by his fellow inmates inside his cell at the NBP maximum security compound at past 6 a.m.

Chaclag said it appears that there was no sign of foul play in Dominguez’s demise but they will wait for the medico-legal report on the cause of death.

“Natagpuan siyang patay sa kaniyang bed so it appears that he died of natural causes pero pinaiimbestigahan pa natin. Wala namang foul play,” he said.

Dominguez had a history of diabetes, hypertension, and asthma, according to Chaclag.

Last year, BuCor denied rumors that Dominguez died of COVID-19 although it confirmed that the inmate had contracted the viral respiratory disease.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra has asked the BuCor to submit a report on the inmate’s death.

Dominguez was brought to the NBP in April 2012 after he was convicted of carjacking.

He was said to be a part of the notorious carjack ring responsible for the string of carjacking incidents that made headlines in 2011.

Dominguez’s gang was also linked to other high-profile crimes, including the murder of car dealer Venson Evangelista. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Mac Cordova)

New Bilibid Prison riot death toll climbs to 4

Robie de Guzman   •   November 10, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The number of inmates who perished in a riot that erupted Monday at the New Bilibid Prison’s maximum security compound has climbed to four, the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) said.

BuCor spokesperson Gabriel Chaklag said 20 other persons deprived of liberty (PDL) injured in the brawl are still undergoing medical treatment.

The bureau initially confirmed three fatalities and 64 wounded inmates in the incidence of violence that broke out Monday morning between the Sigue-Sigue Sputnik and Commando gangs.

The incident occurred exactly one month after a riot erupted inside the NBP maximum security compound that left nine inmates dead and several others injured.

Chaklag said inmates are currently not allowed to leave their cells as part of the disciplinary action imposed by the bureau following the incident.

“Binigyan natin sila ng pagkakataon dati, ano. Although mga kriminal yun, tinrato natin sila bilang tao at napakalaking bagay yun. Pinakinggan sila ng Chief for humanitarian reason, pagkakataon na ipagkasundo nila yung mga nag-aaway-away na miyembro pero ganun pa rin ang nangyari despite that,” he said.

“So medyo drastic ang actions natin ngayon, yung mga disciplinary action ang ibig nating sabihn,” he added.

Chaklag assured that the situation is now under control and that the NBP is back to normal operations. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Mac Cordova)

DOJ orders probe into latest Bilibid riot

Robie de Guzman   •   November 9, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Monday said he has ordered an investigation into the latest riot incident that erupted between gangs within the National Bilibid Prison (NBP) maximum security compound.

In a message to reporters, Guevarra said he already directed the National Bureau of Investigation to conduct a separate probe or expand its ongoing investigation into the previous violence.

He also ordered the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) to submit a detailed report on the incident as soon as possible.

The latest incidence of violence transpired in the NBP compound on Monday morning.

Three inmates were confirmed dead while 64 others were injured in the brawl that erupted at 8:39 a.m.

Based on the initial investigation, the BuCor said the incident was between members of Sigue-Sigue Sputnik and Sigue-Sigue Commando gangs.

The riot was contained around 10 a.m., the BuCor said, adding that its personnel is in the process of clearing the area.

The incident occurred exactly one month after a riot between members of the rival Sputnik and Commando gangs erupted inside the NBP maximum security compound that left nine inmates dead and several others injured.

Guevarra said part of the investigation would be looking into the possible negligence of BuCor officials.

“These BuCor officials should have learned their lesson from the previous violent incident where several PDLs (persons deprived of liberty) were killed,” he said.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.