by UNTV News | Posted on Tuesday, March 20th, 2018
(Left-Right) BOC Deputy Commissioner Edward Dy Buco and Deputy Commissioner Natalio Ecarma III
MANILA, Philippines — The two deputy commissioners of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) has denied involvement in corruption at the agency.
This is contrary to what Senator Panfilo Lacson had exposed in his privilege speech in August 2017 when he named them as among those who received “tara” from importers.
“I vehemently deny the inclusion of my office and my name,” BOC Deputy Commissioner Edward Dy Buco said.
Deputy Commissioner Natalio Ecarma III noted, “Syndicates that we are up against are deeply entrenched, well-funded, politically connected and highly influential,”
Meanwhile, during the 14th hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee on the corruption issue in the BOC, Senator Richard Gordon said he did not see any solid pieces of evidence against the personalities in Senator Lacson’s tara list.
‘Walang naglabas ng ebidensya (Nobody presented evidence). I wish Senator Lacson will come out,” said Gordon.
Despite this, Customs chief Isidro Lapeña will continue to investigate the corruption issue in his agency.
“The investigation is a continuing one and this will cover not just those that were revealed by Senator Lacson, also those who are doing it who were not mentioned,” Lapena said. — Nel Maribojoc | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Friday, September 21st, 2018
Customs commissioner Isidro Lapeña showing the smuggled onions that were misdeclared as apples
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs recently hauled eight containers of smuggled onions at the Manila International Container Port which were declared as apples to escape taxes and duties.
The shipment was consigned to ASD Total Package Enterprises Inc. which arrived on August 14, 2018, according to records.
“Itinatago nila sa kanilang mga warehouses o ibang mga unregistered warehouses at hino-hoard ito. That causes shortage of supply, and when there is shortage of supply the price goes up,” said BOC Commissioner Isidro Lapeña.
Also, the BOC seized P3M-worth of smuggled cigarettes allegedly from China which do not bear graphic warnings. There was also no legal documents accompanying the shipment.
Lapeña said the smuggled items will be condemned.
“All items that are seized and forfeited if they are prohibited by law and by regulation, [will be condemned]. In the case of onion, [it] is prohibited by the Department of Agriculture. These will be destroyed,” he said.
The owner of the shipment will be charged in court along with the customs broker for violating the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Mon Jocson)
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Thursday, September 20th, 2018
LAGUNA, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs (BOC) destroyed on Wednesday (September 19) around 3,000 boxes of fake beauty products valued at P3 billion pesos.
According to BOC Administrative Aide 1 Jeremias Leano, the items were seized from three warehouses owned by a Chinese national in Tondo, Manila. The operation was held in November last year.
Leano said the owner of the products did not show up despite repeated summons from the agency. He is facing charges for violation of the Intellectual Property Code of the Philippines.
“If these are released in the market, it will affect the real brand owner of this kind of products so maaapektuhan ang kanilang market. At the same time, it will be harmful tothe people in the Philippines kung magagamit ito without prior license and import permit from the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA),” Leano said.
The BOC calls on the public not to patronize fake product brands such as beauty products that are being sold at a cheaper price as they can be harmful to health and also affects the reputation of the brand owner.
“Iyong reputation ng original owners affected kasi people think ang quality ng mga goods na subpar ay galing sa kanila na hindi naman. So iyong reputation nila is what at stake,” said Atty Timothy David, a senior associate of a private company. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Sherwin Culubong)
by UNTV News | Posted on Friday, August 10th, 2018
P50-M worth of counterfeit items set for destruction by the Customs Department.
The Bureau of Customs (BOC) destroyed P50-million worth of counterfeit items confiscated from a Pasay City warehouse that the agency raided in December.
“Bawal po ang pag-import ng merong intellectual property rights violation [at] mga pekeng commodities. This also prohibited by the intellectual property code of the Philippines,” said Atty. Erastus Austria District Collector of Port of Manila.
The agency used crusher and shredder machines to tear up counterfeit shoes, clothes, and watches in compliance with the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act which mandates the destruction of such prohibited goods.
“This has an effect on our economy on a larger scale. Kapag pinapabayaan po ang proliferation nito,” Atty. Austria added.
The said goods were seized after its consignee failed to present tax payment certifications and other pertinent documents. — Sherwin Culubong
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.