18 inmates, 1 staff at Women’s Correctional positive for COVID-19 – BuCor

Robie de Guzman   •   April 21, 2020   •   801

MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) on Tuesday said that one jail personnel and 18 persons deprived of liberty (PDL) have tested positive for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

In a statement, the BuCor said 19 out of 51 individuals tested at the Correctional Institution for Women in Mandaluyong were found infected with the viral disease.

The bureau said the tests were conducted by the Philippine Red Cross on 42 PDLs and 8 medical staff traced to have been exposed to the first reported COVID-19 patient in the facility.

“Those tested positive were reported to have mild symptoms and some are asymptomatic,” the BuCor said on its Facebook page.

“They are now being monitored and given vitamins, medicines and food supplements to strengthen their immune system,” it added.

The BuCor said that on top of the regular precautionary measures, it has conducted contact tracing to identify and isolate those who have been exposed to the carrier of the virus, used previously identified quarantine areas, and conducted further testing on all persons who are suspect and probable case of COVID-19.

It also augmented its medical personnel at the CIW, provided more vitamins and food supplements to PDLs to strengthen their physical stamina, and enhanced partnership with government hospitals to received PDLs who will need hospital care.

The BuCor said it also partnered with donors, counterparts and stakeholders to help the CIW administration in its fight to contain the spread of the disease.

“The CIW needs more vitamins for PDLs, food supplements that promote the immune system, beds, and big tents,” it added.

Phl total COVID-19 case exceeds half-a-million mark

Maris Federez   •   January 17, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) has recorded 1,895 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), bringing the overall number of active cases to 24,691.

As of the health department’s 4:00 PM case bulletin on Sunday (January 17), the DOH reported that 5,868 have recuperated from the disease, effecting 435,991 total number of recoveries; and 11 fatalities, tallying to 9,895 total deaths.

These numbers added up to 500,577 COVID-19 cases nationwide.

Meanwhile, the top 5 cities and provinces with new confirmed COVID-19 cases are Davao (107), Quezon City (106), Isabela (65), Pampanga (63), and Bulacan (62).

A large majority (84.6%)  of the reported active cases have exhibited mild symptoms of the disease. Around 6 percent were asymptomatic, while 3 percent manifested severe symptoms. Only less than 1 percent showed moderate symptoms.—/mbmf

Inbound travelers positive for COVID-19 to undergo genome sequencing, DOH says

Robie de Guzman   •   January 16, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – All travelers who test positive for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) upon arrival in the Philippines will be subjected to genome sequencing to check for the presence of new variants, the Department of Health (DOH) said Friday.

The DOH announced the new directive after a 29-year old Filipino who traveled to Dubai in December tested positive for the more transmissible COVID-19 variant first reported in the United Kingdom.

“There was instruction already na lahat ng parating na pasahero basta’t positive atin na pong isu-isubject sa [genome] sequencing,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a virtual press briefing.

Genomic sequencing is a process that allows scientists to analyze and determine how a virus has mutated and to detect if it has the new variants based on the samples taken from coronavirus-infected patients.

Previously, authorities conducted random sequencing of the samples of inbound passengers who tested positive for COVID-19.

Amid the growing number of cases of new COVID-19 variants, the DOH said the government is strengthening its genomic biosurveillance as it is “not feasible” for the country to totally shut its borders.

“Our safeguard would be the biosurveillance that we will be doing and the strict protocols in our ports of entry,” Vergeire said.

She also pointed out that none of the other countries are implementing a total travel ban amid the reported spread of new coronavirus variants.

“Wala pa naman tayong move na ganyan sa ngayon na pinag-uusapan sa Inter- Agency Task Force… Kailangan lang natin maintindihan na iyon pong mga ibang mga countries na may variant, wala namang community transmission… But, of course, that would be part of something to be considered by the IATF in the coming days,” she said.

Malacañang has announced Friday that the government is extending for another two weeks that travel restrictions on foreign passengers coming from 32 countries. Filipinos coming from countries covered by the travel ban are still allowed to enter the Philippines but will be required to undergo quarantine for two weeks regardless of their COVID-19 test result. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Aiko Miguel)

Close contacts ng Pinoy na may UK COVID-19 variant na ‘di nakikipagtulungan sa otoridad, mahaharap sa parusa – DOH

Robie de Guzman   •   January 15, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Maaaring maharap sa parusa ang sinomang close contact ng Pilipinong nag-positibo sa UK variant ng COVID-19 na hindi makikipagtulungan sa mga otoridad, ayon sa Department of Health (DOH).

Inilabas ng DOH ang babala sa gitna ng ginagawa nitong contact tracing sa lahat ng nakasalamuha ng Pilipinong nagkaroon ng UK coronavirus variant matapos bumiyahe palabas ng bansa noong Disyembre.

Una nang iniulat ng DOH na ang Pilipinong naimpeksyon ng UK COVID-19 variant ay bumiyahe pa-United Arab Emirates noong Disyembre. Umuwi ito sa bansa nitong Enero 7 kasama ang kanyang kasintahan sakay ng eroplanong may lulang 159 iba pang mga pasahero.

Ayon kay Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire, 92 porsiyento o 146 na ng close contacts ng pasyente ang nakausap ng DOH. Ang nalalabing 13 naman ay hindi pa umano tumutugon o kaya ay kinakansela ang kanilang tawag.

Paalala ni Vergeire na sa ilalim ng batas, maaaring maharap sa multa o parusang pagkakakulong ang sinomang close contacts ng pasyente na hindi makikipagtulungan sa mga otoridad.

“There is this violation, we have a law, RA 11332, law on notifiable diseases… Maaari po tayong magkaroon ng mga sanctions for these persons especially kung talagang kasama siya as contact siya, and the risk of him spreading the diseases ay nandoon,” ang wika ni Vergeire.

Ayon kay Vergeire, nasa quarantine facilities na ang ilan sa close contacts ng UK variant-positive na pasyante habang ang ilan naman ay pinayagang mag-home quarantine alinsunod sa panuntunan. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Aiko Miguel)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.