18-day old baby contacts COVID-19 in Laguna

Marje Pelayo   •   May 8, 2020   •   1178

Courtesy : Rawpixel.com

LAGUNA Province, Philippines — The Provincial Health Office reported a total of 328 confirmed cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) as of Thursday (May 7). 

Among the recent cases reported is an 18-day-old baby boy from the municipality of Bae.

The infant was delivered at an infirmary in the city of Los Baños on April 18.

He was swabbed for COVID-19 testing on April 24 after he manifested fever upon their return home. 

The baby and his parents are now under home quarantine while health authorities are tracing individuals who had close contact with the young patient. MNP (with reports from Sherwin Culubong)

TAGS   ,

PH detects 10 more cases of COVID-19 India variant

UNTV News   •   May 15, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday said it has detected more cases of Covid-19 variants in the country.

This was based on the latest whole-genome sequencing report of the Philippine Genome Center and the University of the Philippines-National Institutes of Health (UP-NIH) which included samples from the crew members of the MV Athens Bridge, returning overseas Filipinos (ROFs) with relevant travel history, and deceased severe or critical COVID-19 cases.

The DOH reported the detection of ten (10) B.1.617.2 (India) variant cases, thirteen (13) B.1.1.7 (United Kingdom) variant cases, seven (7) B.1.351 (South Africa) variant cases, and one (1) P.3 (Philippines) variant case among the thirty-seven (37) samples sequenced last May 14, 2021.

B.1.617.2 VARIANT CASES:

Of the 10 new B.1.617.2 variant cases, one is a seafarer who came from Belgium and the other nine are crew members of MV Athens Bridge.

The DOH said, the seafarer disembarked in Belgium and flew back to Manila via the United Arab Emirates (UAE). He arrived in the Philippines on a flight last April 24, 2021 and has completed his isolation period last May 13, 2021.

Meanwhile, four of the nine crew members remain admitted at a hospital in Manila and are currently in stable condition while the other five are currently in an isolation facility.

These 10 B.1.617.2 variant cases are in addition to the first two cases previously reported last May 11, bringing the total to 12.

The DOH reiterates that all of the close contacts of the first two cases of B.1.617.2, have completed the prescribed 14-day quarantine and have been discharged from their quarantine facility.

Of the three initially reported COVID-19 positive cases that are close contacts of the 2nd case in the plane, one was sent for sequencing but was not detected to harbor a variant of concern (VOC).

B.1.1.7 VARIANT CASES:

Of the 13 new B.1.1.7 variant cases detected, three (3) are ROFs and 10 are local cases. Based on the case line list, one case has died while 12 have been tagged as recovered.

B.1.351 VARIANT CASES:

Out of the additional seven B.1.351 variant cases, two (2) are ROFs, two (2) are local cases, and three (3) cases are currently being verified if they are local or ROF cases. Based on the case line list, two cases are still active while one has died and four have recovered.

P.3 VARIANT CASES:

The new P.3 variant case is a local case with an address in Region IX. The case died last February 28, 2021.

At present, the P.3 variant is not identified as a variant of concern. This variant is currently being investigated and information continually collected to determine its public health implication.

Amid implementation of stricter border control measures, the DOH reminded the public anew to observe minimum public health standards and immediately get vaccinated when it’s their turn.

The agency said, strict adherence to these measures can prevent infection and further mutation of COVID-19.

“A low transmission rate means fewer chances for the virus to mutate,” the DOH said.

DTI: Halos 200-libong manggagawa, balik-trabaho sa ilalim ng GCQ

Robie de Guzman   •   May 14, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Maaari nang makabalik sa trabaho ang nasa 200-libong empleyado matapos na ibalik sa general community quarantine “with heightened restrictions” ang National Capital Region (NCR) at mga karatig-lalawigan.

Ayon kay Trade and Industry Secretary Ramon Lopez, magiging daan ang paglipat sa GCQ ng NCR, Bulacan, Cavite, Rizal, at Laguna – tinatawag na NCR Plus – upang mapababa ang bilang ng mga nawalan ng trabaho noong kasagsagan ng enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).

“As we further open the economy, we are expecting to bring back 200,000 to 300,000 jobs to lessen the number workers displaced since the start of the ECQ,” ani Lopez.

Noong nasa ilalim ng ECQ ang NCR Plus, umabot sa 1.5 milyon ang bilang ng mga Pilipino nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa coronavirus pandemic.

Nabawasan ito at naging isang milyon noong ipinatupad ang modified ECQ.

Ayon kay Lopez, sa ngayon ay aabot pa sa 700-libong manggagawa ang hindi pa rin nakakabalik sa trabaho dahil sa limitadong operasyon ng ilang establisimyento gaya ng mga restaurant, at barbershop. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Joan Nano)

DOH says no to proposed vaccine pass for access to indoor establishments

Robie de Guzman   •   May 14, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Friday said it is not recommending the proposal to use a “vaccine pass” that would allow persons already inoculated against COVID-19 to have access to business establishments.

“Hindi po kami sang-ayon sa ganyang pagpapalakad o kaya ay magkaron tayo ng mga ganyang proseso,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergere said in a virtual press briefing.

Vergeire said the DOH is not in favor of the proposal as there is no sufficient evidence yet to say that a person who has already received two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine can no longer be infected or spread the virus.

She added that initial studies have shown that the currently available vaccines against coronavirus cannot adequately block the virus.

“Wala pa ho tayong sufficient evidence to say na ang isang taong with complete doses of vaccines already would have that kind of immunity, na hindi na siya magkakaroon ng sakit o makakapanghawa dahil nga po dito sa mga paunang mga ebidensiya na ibinigay sa atin, hindi po nakakapag-block ng transmission adequately ang mga bakuna na mayroon tayo ngayon,” she said.

“As we have said, ang pinaka-assurance o benepisyong nakukuha natin ngayon sa vaccines is reducing severe infections and hospitalization. As to preventing mild to moderate infections, hindi pa rin po tayo nagbibigay ng ganyang assurance sa ating mga kababayan,” she added.

Vergeire also reminded the public, especially those who have completed the two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, to still observe health protocols against COVID-19.

“Even if you are fully vaccinated, meaning you have completed two doses, kailangan pa rin natin magpatupad ng minimum health protocols,” she said.

“Itong sinasabing vaccine pass ay hindi pa rin mairerekomenda ng Kagawaran ng Kalusugan,” she added.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.