15 roads remain closed to traffic after Ulysses onslaught
Aileen Cerrudo • November 17, 2020 • 298
MANILA, Philippines — Only 15 road sections in areas affected by Typhoon Ulysses remain closed to traffic as clearing operations continue.
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) reported several of these roads were closed due to soil collapse, landslide, roadslip, mudflow, toppled trees, damaged detour, eroded bridge approach, flooding and carriageway settlement caused by continuous rains brought by Typhoon Ulysses.
Four roads remain closed in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), three in Region II, six in Region III, one in Region IV-A, and one in Region V.
Meanwhile, there are four road sections with limited access while the rest of the national roads are already passable to all types of vehicles. AAC
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) announced on Wednesday (January 20) that it targets to open the 5-kilometer portion of the NLEX Connector by the end of 2021.
The first 5 kilometers of the NLEX Connector links Caloocan Interchange, C3 and España Boulevard in Manila.
“Spanning a total of eight kilometers, the DPWH said the full NLEX Connector will be an all vehicle class elevated expressway that will traverse the C3 Road in Caloocan City pass through Abad Santos, Blumentritt, Dimasalang, España, Magsaysay Boulevard and eventually connect with the Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 at the Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Sta. Mesa in Manila,” the DPWH said.
DPWH Secretary Mark Villar said the project aims to ease traffic along EDSA.
The full NLEX Connector that spans 8 kilometers will feature four toll plazas and interchanges from C3 and España.
It is expected to reduce travel time between NLEX and South Luzon Expressway from two hours to just 20 minutes.
The 23-billion project is also seen to provide better access to Manila Ports (North Harbor) and airports (NAIA and Clark).
“Kapag natapos itong connector lalong luluwag ang EDSA kasi lahat ng trucks na galing sa port magkakaroon ng option na mag NLEX or mag SLEX (As soon as the connector is completed, EDSA will be decongested as all trucks from the port will have the option to use either the NLEX or SLEX),” he said.
Villar said as they strive to complete the first 5 kilometers, they will also target to complete the NLEX Connector up to Sta. Mesa, Manila before the term of President Rodrigo Duterte ends. —AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)
MANILA, Philippines — Skyway Stage 3, the 14.8-kilometer elevated tollway project connecting Skyway/SLEx Buendia to NLEx Balintawak is set to open in full operation beginning Friday (January 15).
On Wednesday (January 13), Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar conducted a final inspection to ensure that everything is in place.
Although the road project is expected to shift to full operation, only seven ramps will be opened to motorists including entry and exit ramps in Buendia, Quezon Avenue and Balintawak.
However, in Plaza Dilao, only the south bound ramp will be opened to motorist for the meantime, as there are still nine ramps that are under construction and yet to be delivered to DPWH.
Nevertheless, six lanes will be open to motorists starting Friday.
Since the project began on December 29 last year, around 60,000 to 70,000 motorists were able to ply daily in the said Skyway section, the DPWH said.
“Qualitatively we can see na maraming natutuwa dahil sa ngayon kapag rush hour minsan sa Edsa makikita natin di naman gaano kagrabe ang traffic and the numbers would show this dahil ito naman talaga ang expectations namin ito yung target namin na mabawasan ang Edsa ng at least 100,000 cars para bumalik siya sa original capacity,” explained Villar.
Meanwhile, the DPWH and San Miguel Corporation earlier announced that Sky Way Stage 3 will be toll-free until January 29.
But since the contractor has yet to complete the entire construction, Secretary Villar said the free toll may be extended. MNP (with reports from Joan Nano)
MANILA, Philippines — Fourteen engineers of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) have been relieved from their posts due to their alleged involvement in corruption, according to DPWH Secretary Mark Villar.
Villar said this is following the order of President Rodrigo Duterte after he named several DPWH officials allegedly involved in corruption.
“Actually iyong binanggit po ni Presidente na-relieve na and mayroon kaming ongoing complaints sa aming task force against corruption (Those mentioned by the President had already been relieved from their posts and we have ongoing complaints reported in our task force against corruption),“ he said.
Duterte mentioned the names last December during his public address. This was after the investigation conducted by the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) on the alleged corruption in the DPWH. —AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.