Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

139 victims of human smuggling on board a cruise ship rescued in Bataan

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Tuesday, 3 July 2018 11:41 AM

Authorities round up the rescued undocumented passengers of  a cruise ship bound for Micronesia. (Photo courtesy of: Philippine Coast Guard)

 

MANILA, Philippines – A joint anti-smuggling operations by members of the National Coast Watch Center (NCWC) together with the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) rescued 139 victims of human smuggling on board a cruise ship bound for Micronesia at 1:00 am, Tuesday (July 3).

In a press release, the PCG said the operations team apprehended a 5,746 gross-tonne old cruise ship registered as “M/V Forever Lucky” with 41 crew members on board after the NCWC received information from its foreign counterpart that a vessel of interest docked in Orion, Bataan was allegedly involved in illegal activities specifically human smuggling.

According to NCWC Director Rear Admiral Joel Garcia, the NCWC flagged the information to the PCG and the NBI that the vessel was “preparing to depart the Philippines for Micronesia to transport undocumented number of Filipinos.”

The owner of the vessel, Farenheit Company Ltd., produced “falsified and fictitious Special Permit to Navigate, no Certificate of Public Convenience or franchise to legalize its operation, no manifest for the 139 passengers on board, and other documents,” according to the PCG.

The PCG said the investigation in ongoing to determine appropriate charges to be filed against the persons responsible behind the illegal activity. — Marje Pelayo

 

M/V Forever Lucky: The 5,746 gross-tonne old cruise ship that was used to smuggle 139 people  (Photo courtesy of: Philippine Coast Guard)

 

 

 

Tags: , , ,

NBI launches parallel investigation on Rep. Batocabe’s murder

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, 26 December 2018 05:09 PM

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_083117_NBI

FILE PHOTO: NBI Facade

MANILA, Philippines – The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is conducting its own investigation on the murder of Ako Bicol Party list Rep. Rodel Batocabe and his police escort, SPO1 Orlando Diaz.

PNP Chief DG Oscar Albayalde confirmed the NBI’s probe coinciding with the ongoing investigation of the PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG).

Albayalde assures that there will be no whitewashing on the result of the investigation. – UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: ,

Online sellers warned against ‘fake deposit slip scam’

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, 12 December 2018 05:48 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Discounts, price drops and the likes are a hit this season as people are busy buying gifts for their loved ones.

Consumers still prefer mall shopping to personally feel the festive mood, but online shopping is also becoming more popular because of the hassle-free, more convenient shopping experience it offers.

But authorities advise shoppers, as well as online sellers, to be vigilant when transacting business online because scammers have become ‘techy’ in executing their modus operandi.

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) cited as an example, the ‘fake deposit slip’ scam which mostly victimizes online sellers.

Anna Magkawas has been a seller of branded celebrity bags and shoes online.

It wasn’t the first time that she had been scammed by bogus buyers who presented fake receipts and compelled her to send the items right away even before she verified the payment.

In total, she has lost P200,000 worth of luxury items to scammers.

“Reseller siya kasi so nagre-resell siya ng mga items mo. Minsan nagli-lay-away. Papartial-partial lang ang payment so hindi mo iisipin talaga na scammer. Ang fault ko lang talaga noon di ko nacheck ng mabuti kung talagang pumasok iyong amount na sinend niya kasi nga before, sa sobrang busy, hindi ko nakaugalian na magcheck lagi ng account online,” Anna said.

Just recently, Anna was almost scammed again when another bogus buyer posted an order.

“Pero iyon naman nacheck ko naman kaagad sa account ko na wala talagang pumasok. Tapos minsan naisip ko baka delay lang naman iyong online system ng bank pero iyong iba nagchecheck ako eh, iyong iba pumapasok naman so di talaga ko pumayag. Sabi ko: ‘Sis wala talagang pumasok na money,’” Anna recounted.

According to the NBI Cybercrime Division, they have recorded more than 500 cases of computer-related fraud or complaints this year.

However, the agency believes that there are still more people like Anna who fall prey to online scammers and have no courage to report to authorities.

Authorities advise online sellers not to trust online buyers easily.

‘Dapat kapag nag deposit sa iyo, you have to verify it with the bank. Huwag kang eager-beaver na maniwala at i-send kung pwede mo naman itanong sa bangko. Kapag kasi substantial iyong amount, material sa iyo, iyong amount or iyong value ng ibenebenta mo, ganoon din dapat kataas iyong level of checks na ginagawa mo,’ explained NBI Cybercrime Division Chief Victor Lorenzo.

“Isa lang ang palagi nating sinasabi diyan. When it is too good to be true, it is not true. Kapag laging may sense of urgency nagmamadali iyong nagbebenta o bibili, ayun iyong first red flag,” he advised.

Lorenzo added that fake transactions can be discerned if the person you are transacting with shows no activity on his or her social media account.

It is always best to double check on the authenticity of the social media account.

The NBI encourages the public to report any incident of online fraud so that others may be warned and legit sellers and buyers will not be affected.

‘We encourage the public to file a formal complaint with us dahil nga natututo din kami na may bagong modus operandi. Pangalawa hindi naman lahat iyan masosolve namin hindi namin mapangako na masosolve iyan. Ang masasabi lang namin, sooner or later iyan mga scammer na iyan mahuhuli at mahuhuli din iyan dahil hindi sila titigil,’ Lorenzo concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Mai Bermudez)

Tags: ,

Family wants probe on Balaoan Vice Mayor Concepcion’s slay transferred to NBI

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, 22 November 2018 03:14 PM

Carlo Castor Concepcion

LA UNION, Philippines – The family of Balaoan Vice Mayor Alfred Concepion wants the case of the slain mayor transferred to the supervision of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

The family sent their request to the NBI after accusing members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) of  hiding the evidence from them.

“So gustong malinisan ng PNP ang pangalan nila. Maybe they should withdraw their investigation and give the evidence to NBI just to prove that they are innocent. Kung wala silang tinatago madali lang iyan. Hindi nila papahirapan ang ibang investigative body to conduct their own investigation,” said Concepcion’s son Carlo Castor.

The family believes that politics is behind the murder of their father.

“The family firmly stands that this is politics. This is pure politics. We believe ang tumira dito sa Balaoan ang tumira sa Sudipen they are the same person,” Carlo claimed.

But Chief Inspector Silverio Ordinado Jr. suggested that the family put their claims into writing or issue a formal statement.

“Kung ganun ang ano nila, dapat sana ilagay nila into writing. Actually hindi pa naman sila nakapagbibigay ng statement pero ino-honor natin iyong statement nila dahil sabi ng investigator after na ng libing,” Ordinado said.

As of press time, the PNP has not yet identified a person of interest in the case.

The family said the burial of the slain Vice Mayor is on Saturday, November 24. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Toto Fabros)

Tags: ,