NDRRMC sends assessment team in areas devastated by TS “Vinta”

admin   •   December 28, 2017   •   5299


MANILA, Philippines — National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) Spokesperson Romina Marasigan lamented that the high death toll due to the typhoon, despite the constant reminder and preparations made by the government, is unacceptable.

The NDRRMC deployed an assessment team to areas hit by typhoon Vinta.

The group is tasked to gather information regarding those affected by the typhoon.

The death toll due to the typhoon is still at 164 while 176 are still missing following the onslaught of Vinta in Mindanao.

According to Marasigan, more than 23,000 families are still staying at 231 evacuation centers.

The number of damaged houses is at 2,663,  of which, 1,654 are totally damaged and 1,009 are partially damaged.

The government has already provided 12 million pesos worth of aid to the victims of the typhoon.

“Until now, the operation center is still on red alert status as we continue to provide aid to our fellowmen,” said Marasigan.

The NDRRMC admitted that the high death toll due to the typhoon is unacceptable, noting the government even properly provided information and prepared early for the calamity.

With this, the agency is in favor of proposals to amend the law that would pave way for the creation of a new department which will have the sole task of responding to calamities and disasters.

“In terms of disaster, one life lost is one too many.  It is really unacceptable that there are deaths because of typhoons or landslides or disasters that threaten our country. Our government continues to prepare. We are hoping to achieve zero casualties during calamities or disasters,” said the NDRRMC spokesperson.

Because of the high number of deaths, the NDRRMC reminded the public anew to listen and follow warnings from the government about calamities to avoid accidents.

“The cooperation of the public is really important especially when it comes to evacuation. When the water level in their areas is increasing, we are also putting the lives of our responders on the line to be able to save them or evacuate them,” said Marasigan.

Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

DOH declares national dengue epidemic due to surge of dengue cases

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 6, 2019

Patients suffering from dengue fever receive medical treatment at an isolation ward of a government-run hospital in Manila, Philippines, 16 July 2019. (Photoville Internatioal)

The Department of Health (DOH) has declared a national dengue epidemic due to the continuous surge of dengue cases in the country.

According to the DOH, dengue cases from July 14 to 20 alone already reached over 10,000.

From January to July 20, a total of 146,062 cases with 622 death were recorded. It is 98% higher compared to the same period last year.

READ: Dengue on the rise: How to protect your family against dengue virus

“It is important that a national epidemic be dared in these areas to identify where a localized response is needed and to enable the local government units to use their Quick Response Fund to address the epidemic situation,” Duque said during a press briefing on Tuesday (Aug 6).

Duque also said the health department along with other government agencies and local government unit will launch “the ‘Sabayang 4 o’clock habit’ para dengue out, focusing on search and destroy in mosquito breeding sites.”

The DOH also reiterated the importance of immediate consultation if an individual experiences dengue symptoms.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

Dengue cases spike to over 100K – DOH

Maris Federez   •   August 1, 2019

The Department of Health has released its latest record of dengue cases which have already ballooned to more than 130,000.

This is double the recorded cases in the same month of 2018.

More than 500 fatalities had also been reported this year.

“Dumadami pa rin ang cases natin and nag-activate naman na tayo ng Regional Health Clusters ng NDRRMC [The number of cases continues to grow. We are once again activating the Regional Health Clusters of the NDRRMC],” DOH spokesman, Usec Eric Domingo said.

National Dengue Alert remains hoisted due to the increase of the number of areas that are already in the Dengue Epidemic Level.

This includes the Western Visayas, Calabarzon, Socsksargen, Northern Mindanao, Central Visayas, and the National Capital Region.

Dengue has also been considered as a global health issue in 2019 because of the cycle of the dengue virus infection that balloons in number every three years.

“2019 worldwide is really shaping up to be with one those high burden years for dengue,” Domingo added.

 With this, the DOH will meet with the officials of the 17 regions in the country on Friday (Aug. 2) to be ensured that the dengue problem in their areas is controlled and addressed.

The health department also reminds the public to maintain cleanliness in their surroundings to ensure that there are no breeding grounds for dengue mosquitoes. (with details from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf

Death toll in Nepal floods rises to 55, thousands displaced

Robie de Guzman   •   July 15, 2019

The death toll in Nepal from flash floods and landslides rose to 55 on Sunday (July 14), with dozens missing and injured, the government said.

Ten thousand people have been displaced from their homes as incessant monsoon rains pounded many areas in mostly mountainous Nepal since Thursday (July 11), submerging large areas of land, inundating homes, and destroying bridges and roads across the country.

A Home Ministry statement said 55 people had been confirmed dead and 33 injured, with 30 still missing.

India’s north eastern state of Assam has also been hard hit by the floods brought by the monsoon, with at least 1.5 million people displaced and 10 dead.

In the Chittagong division of Bangladesh there have been 10 deaths and about 500,000 displaced, with 200 villages flooded.

Officials said in some areas rains had eased but rivers in the eastern part of the country were still above flood level.

The Kosi River, which flows into the eastern Indian state of Bihar, was among those that had risen above the flood level.

The Kosi has been a serious concern for both India and Nepal since it broke its banks in 2008 and changed course, submerging large areas of land and affecting more than 2 million people in India’s Bihar state. (REUTERS)

(Production: Emily Cooper)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.