MANILA, Philippines – Eleven people were hurt after a condominium building in Davao City was destroyed following a magnitude 6.5 earthquake that shook parts of Mindanao anew on Thursday morning.
Local authorities said the victims sustained minor injuries after a strong quake damaged the Ecoland 4000 condominium building around 9:24 a.m.
The wounded victims were identified as the following:
Catley Ubas, 27
Naser Enog, 27
Baswil Ledya, 60
Park Jung O, Korean, 61
Lydia Notarte, 60
Luisa Basuil, 32
Arwind Basuil, 6
Ariah Basuil, 4
Aljun Betalueno, 23
Reymart Fadrique, 23
Authorities said the victims received treatment on-site before they were brought to a hospital for further assessment.
Eight other building occupants were able to escape unharmed.
The City’s Central 911 said rescuers are still searching and inspecting all floors of the building.
The condominium has 56 units but only 15 were occupied at the time of the collapse.
The building was among the structures that sustained heavy damage after a magnitude 6.6 quake hit Cotabato and other areas in Mindanao on Tuesday, Oct. 29.
According to Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, unit owners had been ordered to immediately evacuate the building after the City disaster officials found cracks on the structure following Tuesday’s quake.
The City Engineer’s Office also recommended the condemnation of the building.
However, some of the tenants insisted to stay in their units as they have yet to find a place to transfer to.
“We will have to check if they (owner of the building) can be held liable over the incident based on the investigation of our legal department,” Duterte-Carpio said in a mix of Cebuano and English languages.
The mayor also reiterated the strict implementation of local policy on building height limit which aims to regulate the growth and development, as well as conform to flight safety regulations.
“Requiring the limitations of building heights in certain areas depending on their area in the city’s zoning ordinance. That is being implemented. We really need that ordinance not just for disasters but also for urban planning, foot, and traffic congestion,” she said.
The city government of Davao earlier reported that 27 areas were confirmed to have sustained minor damages due to the tremor.
But Duterte-Carpio assured the public that roads and bridges across the city have been declared safe following the inspection.
She also assured that the local government is on top of the situation and that her father, President Rodrigo Duterte, should focus more on areas that were heavily damaged by the quake.
The elder Duterte was in his residence in Davao City when the strong quake struck Thursday morning.
His house sustained cracks on the walls and ceiling but Malacañang assured the chief executive is safe.
“Hindi pa kami nagkausap ni President Duterte but we reassure the President that the City Government of Davao is on top of the situation here in Davao so that he can focus more on areas na malaki din ang damage like Tulunan, Kidapawan in North Cotabato,” the mayor said.
Duterte-Carpio also shared that Davao City has extended assistance to areas that were hit by the strong earthquake, such as Tulunan and Kidapawan towns in North Cotabato, and Bansalan and Digos town in Davao del Sur.
“We sent grocery packs with rice, canned goods, and noodles,” she said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Marisol Montaño)
MANILA, Philippines – Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte emerged as a possible top presidential candidate in the 2022 May elections, based on the result of the latest survey by Pulse Asia.
The survey, conducted on 2,400 respondents, showed that 26 percent of respondents said they would support Mayor Duterte.
“If the presidential election was held during the survey period, around one out of four Filipino adults, (26%) would vote for Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte as the country’s new chief executive,” Pulse Asia said.
Respondents in Mindanao (58%) and Visayas (29%) also expressed support for Duterte, according to the survey.
Tied at second place are former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., and Senator Grace Poe at 14% followed by Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso at 12%, and Senator Manny Pacquiao at 10%.
Vice President Leni Robredo also registered as presidential voter preference at 8%, followed by Senator Panfilo Lacson, and Christopher “Bong” Go both at sixth place with 6%.
In the vice presidential race, Domagoso topped the probable bets at 17 percent followed by Sara Duterte at 16%, and Senate President Vicente Sotto III (14%). Behind them are Marcos (11%), Pacquiao (11%), and Go (9%).
The survey was conducted from November 23 to December 2, 2020 using face-to-face interviews.
It was held after a series of storms that hit various parts of the country and caused massive flooding in the Cagayan Region, followed by the announcement of pharmaceutical companies, Pfizer and Moderna that their vaccines are more than 90 percent effective against COVID-19, the designation of Carlito Galvez Jr. as vaccine czar and the extension of the general community quarantine of Metro Manila, Batangas, Lanao del Sur, and Davao del Norte until 31 December 2020 due to the increasing number of COVID-19 cases in the said areas. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – Fourteen employees of the Davao City hall were apprehended after they were caught drinking alcoholic beverages on Tuesday despite an existing liquor ban.
The city government said the employees of the Davao City Engineering’s Office were caught inside the motor pool compound in Barangay Maa at 3:45 p.m.
Mayor Sara Duterte has issued a stern warning against government workers who disobey the liquor ban in the city, as well as the prohibition on the conduct of holiday parties amid the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
“Heads of offices should remind their personnel every day to give honor (by following protocols) to their fellow employees who are hard at work on the Covid-19 frontlines,” Duterte said.
The ban on drinking and selling of liquor and other alcoholic beverages was reimposed in the city on November 2 until December 31 as part of local government’s efforts to control the COVID-19 cases.
Duterte also ordered the city’s human resource management office to “check other penalties aside from liquor ban cases.”
Davao Mayor Sara Duterte has cautioned the public against unscrupulous individuals using her name to solicit cash assistance allegedly for the victims of recent typhoons.
In a statement, Duterte warned about an account on social media posing as her to ask money for people severely affected by typhoons Rolly and Ulysses in Luzon.
The presidential daughter said she does not have a Facebook account and that those behind the Sara Duterte Carpio account are “using my name and the platform to lure unsuspecting victims.”
“I also do not have a GCash account. Meddelyn Duterte, if she’s a real person, is clearly a scammer,” she said.
“Please do not fall victims to fraudsters posing to be me,” she added.
She said these fake accounts should be reported and asked the management of Facebook to take down these pages.
“I am also asking the public to report these fake accounts and urge Facebook to take them down as I call on law enforcement agencies to go after the people behind these nefarious activities,” Duterte said.
Mayor Sara also said that those who wish to send aid to typhoon victims should give their donations directly to affected local government units or course it through aid agencies and organizations.
“If you want to help people affected by calamities and disasters, you may send your assistance directly to the victims, to the affected LGUs, or to credible and trusted aid agencies and organizations,” Duterte said.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.