NUEVA ECIJA, Philippines – A total of 1,538 cases of dengue infection was recorded in Nueva Ecija in the period of January to July of this year.
The figure is almost triple the number of cases during the same period last year which recorded 566 cases.
The Provincial Health Office expressed concern over the surge of dengue infection. Most of the cases were recorded in Cabanatuan and Bongabon with 307 and 79 cases respectively.
According to Dr. Benjamin Lopez, the spread of dengue infection was due to flood and unclean surroundings left by monsoon rains that established breeding grounds for dengue-carrying mosquitoes.
The PHO is working double time to destroy such breeding grounds to prevent further spread of dengue infection.
“Iyon pong pagtutok sa search and destroy, pagba-bahay-bahay, talagang tinitignan ang mga pinamumugaran ng lamok. Ang priority po natin ang ating schools dahil karamihan po at majority po ng cases po natin ay nasa school-age children,” explained Lopez.
To date, dengue has claimed the lives of 10 individuals in the province, according to Lopez, mostly between the ages of 6 and 12.
Nevertheless, the PHO assured they have enough supply of medicine and larvicide for prevention.
Health authorities remind the public to immediately seek professional help once symptoms of dengue infection occur. – Danny Munar / Marje Pelayo
NUEVA ECIJA, Philippines – The Municipal Agriculture office has culled more than 500 pigs on Friday (December 13).
This, following reports from residents in Barangay Luyos, in the town of San Antonio, Nueva Ecija that several pigs in the area died last week.
Backyard hog raisers voluntarily submitted their animals to culling in fear of African Swine Fever (ASF).
“Natakot kami na baka kami madamay (We were afraid of getting affected),” said hog raiser Rowena Liamson.
“Kaysa kami po ang magbaon, wala naman po kaming malalaking bakuran na pagbabaunan kaya nag voluntary surrender na lang po kami (So instead of burying the pigs by ourselves, we chose to voluntarily surrender them as we have no available lot space for a pit),” she explained.
The Department of Agriculture (DA) will pay each hog raiser P5,000 for each culled pig so that they could at least recover from their losses.
Based on record of the Municipal Agriculture Office, they are set to depopulate around 1,200 pigs in Barangays Mariano, Julo and Luyos in the coming days.
Authorities call on residents to immediately report to them any case of pig sickness and death so they could act accordingly and eventually prevent the spread of the deadly hog disease. – MNP (With details from Danny Munar)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) said there are no clear expert studies yet on the supposed recorded case in Spain of dengue transmission through sexual intercourse.
Based on a report, a male tested positive of dengue after having sexual intercourse with his partner who has dengue.
The health department said it was an isolated case.
“E kasi ito naman hindi siya the usual, this is very atypical. So, the chances of its spreading via that route are very low,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said.
Sec. Duque said the DOH is rather concerned over unprotected sex which causes an increase in the number of HIV-AIDS cases in the country.
He added that the alleged transmission of dengue virus through sexual intercourse will remain theoretical or mere speculation.
He underscored that the Philippines has yet to record a similar case of dengue transmission.
The department, he said, is pushing for safe sex and clean living, especially this year when the country is recording an average of 35 individuals who are HIV positive daily.
“I will not be worried that there can be an epidemic of dengue via that route because there already is with mosquitoes. So, I would be worried for lack of protection primarily because we don’t want anymore HIV-AIDS cases as much as possible. So incidental lang iyong isa e to the main issue of unprotected sex. It’s a (very) collateral issue,” Duque said. (from the report of Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) wants to look into research-based technologies to address the dengue problem in the country.
DOST Secretary Fortunato T. de la Peña said the department has funded several research projects and programs to aid in addressing the different aspects of the disease.
“Through the DOST-Philippine Council for Health Research and Development, we have funded a number of research projects and programs consistent with the multi-prong approach in the control of dengue that address different aspects such as diagnosis and treatment,” he said.
One of the researches supported by the DOST is the Biotek M which is a rapid diagnostic test for dengue. This kit can diagnose dengue as early as two to three days after the onset of illness.
They are also looking into a possible herbal medicine for dengue.
“Dengue research and development has always been one of the priority research areas in the country. This is stated in the Harmonized National Research and Development Agenda led by the DOST,” said Sec. de la Peña.—AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.