10 families rescued from flash flood in San Miguel, Bulacan
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Saturday, 15 September 2018 02:31 PM
BULACAN, Philippines – Several barangays in the town of San Miguel were affected by a sudden flash flood on the onset of Typhoon Ompong on Saturday, September 15.
According to Bulacan Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, floodwater of up to six feet rushed into residential areas, particularly in Barangay Banga-Banga.
Authorities said they have rescued at least 10 families from the flash flood with the assistance of the San Miguel Disaster Office.
A platoon of scout rangers is also on standby to respond to rescue operations when necessary. The local government has also prepared food relief packs for residents affected by the calamity. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Gerry Galicia)
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Wednesday, 13 February 2019 01:30 PM
BULACAN, Philippines – Due to the continuous rise in measles cases, the Bulacan Provincial government together with the Department of Health (DOH) Region 3 will hold a mass immunization in all 596 barangays in the province.
Measles cases across Bulacan have already reached 286 in the month of January alone; a more than 3,000% increase to last year’s seven cases during the same month.
The highest number recorded was in San Jose del Monte with 48; Baliuag with 33; Bocaue with 32; and Marilao with 21.
The infection already killed six infants age five months and below.
The situation prompted the local government unit (LGU) to intensify its Oplan Ligtas Tigdas program which was recently launched in the municipality of Malolos through the collaboration of the DOH Region 3 and the Bulacan Health Office, and the LGU.
All heads of barangays and health workers were directed to make rounds in communities to administer the immunization especially to babies who have no records of vaccination.
“Kailangan po namin ang pakiisa ninyo. (Mag) house to house. Ang target po natin ay ang mga nasa bahay wether they’re kinder,or day care (level) pero 1 month old or 6 months old. Ang kailangan po natin dito ay tulong ng mga kapitan,” appealed Bulacan Governor Wilhelmino Sy Alvarado.
In response, heads of barangays vowed to support the program for their respective constituents.
“Pupuntahan namin ang mga bahay-bahay per purok, may mga barangay health workers, volunteers,” assured Barangay Calumpit chairman Eugenio Garsota.
Meanwhile, Dr. Wilbert Ilerya of Pulilan Municipal Health Office suggested a schedule for the immunization program per barangay to avoid further spread of the infection.
He also stressed that once the mass immunization is launched, the local health center should make sure that there is enough supply of vaccines.
“This is a time of outbreak, kailangan may maibibigay na bakuna, para mahinto mo na yung paglaganap nung ng kaso ng measles,” Ilerya said.
The Health Regional Office, meanwhile, assured that there will be enough supply of vaccine for every barangay but in case of shortage, they can always ask for additional supply from the provincial health office.
“As of now, wala po tayong kulang sa mga bakuna. Sapat papo ang ating bilang, If ever magkukulang man po we could always request from the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) to give another batch of vaccine from regular vaccination natin,” assured Dr. Shiela Mae Geronimo, DOH-3’s Development Management Officer 4.
Based on DOH-Region 3 records, Pampanga remains the highest in number of measles cases with 652; Bulacan with 560; and Tarlac with 333 cases.
DOH calls on the seven provinces in Region 3 to put up an isolation ward in every district and provincial hospitals to accommodate measles-infected patients.
“We are having an outbreak at a regional level and the Bulacan level. We need to have isolation areas of all the hospital that we have whether it is level 1,2,3 hospital,” Geronimo emphasized. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Nestor Torres)
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Monday, 21 January 2019 10:25 AM
BULACAN, Philippines – Two blocks of tea marble measuring 5.3 cubic meters each were confiscated by members of the Bulacan Environmental and Natural Resources (BENRO) on Saturday (January 19) in Angat, Bulacan.
According to BENRO Head Elizabeth Apresto, a tipster informed them of the suspicious movement of goods in Barangay Kalawakan, Donya Remedios Trinidad involving two dump trucks.
“Noong time na na-intercept sila, wala pa ang PNP pero tinawagan ko ang tao ko na puntahan ang PNP Angat,” Apresto said.
BENRO personnel immediately positioned at possible exit points and eventually intercepted the contraband.
Among the convoy of the two trucks was the vehicle of a certain ‘Sy’ who introduced himself as an official of Rosemoor Mining and Development Corporation.
According to initial report, the two tea rose marble slabs were among the 257 slabs confiscated by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) in 2008 in Barangay Kalawakan.
The slabs were formerly owned by Rosemoor Mining and Development Corporations but the DENR awarded the ownership to the provincial government in 2015.
Apresto added that the transport permit Sy presented dated January 11, 2010 was already expired and rebooked.
“Inaakala nila kanila pa rin pero hindi napo dahil kanselado na. Dapat ito sa provincial government na po dahil na-i-award na nga po ito sa amin. Wala po silang karapatan na ibyahe po ito dahil kanselado na po ang kanilang Mineral Production Sharing Agreement,” Apresto explained.
Meanwhile, Sy escaped on the way to Camp Alejo in Malolos, Bulacan to surrender the confiscated slabs.
“Noong time na dadalhin na namin sila dito at na-impound na namin dito sa kampo, sumusunod naman po siya. Siguro po ang pagkukulang namin ay dapat nalagyan ng pulis doon sa sasakyan niya,” the environment official said.
BENRO will file a case for violating R.A 7942 or the Mining Act of 1995 and the Provincial Ordinance C-005/ 2011 of the Revised Environmental Code against the two drivers of the trucks identified as Dennis Villarin and Jenel Dagon as well as the owner of the dump trucks Michael Lee.
Sy will also be held liable for the incident.
“Kung may papel sila ayusin nila para kami po hindi po kami madamay. Kasi nagtratrabaho lang kami. Akala namin okay. Kami trabaho lang, hindi namin alam ang ganitong sitwasyon na mahalaga pala ang karga naming,” lamented Dagon.
Meanwhile, Apresto revealed that 160 of the 257 tea rose marble slabs owned by the provincial government were already purchased by a Chinese national named Charley Ang for US$500 per cubic meters.
Ang was the winning bidder during the public bidding held last year. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Nestor Torres)
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Tuesday, 25 December 2018 02:13 PM
BULACAN, Philippines – Vendors expressed concern over low supply of firecrackers from manufacturers in Bocaue ahead of the year-end revelry.
This low supply prompted them to increase in prices by 30% from the previous price.
Ding Dinglasan observed that in the past 20 years as firecracker vendor, it was just this year that the firecracker capital of the Philippines experiences shortage in supplies.
Ding added that many firecracker manufacturers did not deliver additional stocks even the regular suppliers such as Arial, Platinum and Diamond, a well-known firecracker manufacturer in Bulacan.
“Dadalawa na lang. Dati lima iyan talaga. (Iyong) Arial hinahanap ng ibang tao pero wala na. Iyong Platinum marami ring naghahanap noon dahil magandang brand. Kaya lang wala rin silang parating, Iyong Diamond naman mga fountain lang kaya hahanapin yun,” he said.
Currently, firecrackers like the so-called ‘sawa’ now sells at P700 from the previous P500 per 2,000 rounds; P450 (from P300) per 1,000 rounds; and P200 (from P150) per 500 rounds.
Decorative lighting devices, meanwhile, now sells at P25,000 for every 200 shoots, an P5,000 increase from previous price; P5,000 (from P3,500) for every 100 shoots; P2,500 (from P2,000) for every 49 shoots; and P800 (from P500) for every 16 shoots.
Sparklers now sell at P35 (from P30) for each bundle while the fountain now costs P50 (from P25) for every piece.
“Expected naman na mataas kasi kulang ang mga suplay talaga. Mas maraming stock dati kaysa ngayon,” explained Marcelo Angeles of the Marcelo Fireworks Dealer.
Still, firecracker vendors are looking forward to the surge of buyers beginning December 27 until December 31 on the eve of the new year when the demand for firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices peaks. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Nestor Torres)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.