1 year free MRT-3 rides for soldiers

Marje Pelayo   •   April 24, 2018   •   4133

Metro Rail Transit 3 (MRT-3)

Soldiers are given a year of free train rides, courtesy of Metro Rail Transit (MRT) Line 3.

This is in line with a memorandum of agreement to be signed Wednesday by the Department of Transportation (DOTr,) MRT-3 and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP.)

The project is a small gesture to acknowledge the efforts and sacrifices of the members of the military in order to maintain peace and national security.

For its part, the AFP in return will offer medical assistance and allow the use of its service ambulance in time of crisis and emergencies.

Last year, Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA) inked a similar agreement with the AFP which takes effect until December 2018.  — Asher Cadapan Jr. | UNTV News & Rescue

TAGS   , ,

LRT-2 shuts off air conditioning system due to volcanic ash

Marje Pelayo   •   January 13, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Light Rail Transport (LRT) Line 2 management has temporarily shut down the train’s air conditioning system to prevent damage to the trains due to ash fall as a result of the recent eruption of Taal Volcano in Batangas.

On its Twitter account, LRT-2 added that windows will remain closed to prevent the riding public from exposure to volcanic ash that is harmful to health due to its sulfur content.

Train service remains on normal operation at LRT2 as well as at LRT Line 1 and MRT-3.

Meanwhile, the number coding scheme has already been suspended on Monday.

This means vehicles with plate numbers ending in 1 and 2 are allowed to travel in Metro Manila streets throughout the day.

Also, all flights have already been cancelled at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) as early as Sunday (January 12).

Cancellations remain in effect “until further notice,” according to authorities.

READ: DOTr, CAAP, MIAA: Flight suspension in effect until further notice

AFP to send ships, planes, 2 battalions for repatriation of OFWs

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 8, 2020

The Department of National Defense (DND) said the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) will send two ships, three planes, and two battalions for the repatriation of overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) in the Middles East.

DND Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said the two landing ships can accommodate 500 persons each. They will also send two C130 and a C295 planes.

Lorenzana clarified the two battalions will be deployed to assist Filipinos who will return to the country as tension continues to rise between the United States (US) and Iran.

“The two battalions will not be there to engage in combat with anybody, but to facilitate or help assist in the repatriation of the OFWs especially in Iraq. Hindi sila magpunta doon para makipaglaban, (they will not be sent there to fight)” Lorenzana said.

The Defense Secretary also said they also considering to use cruise ships and commercial airlines to accommodate more Filipinos returning home.

Meanwhile, the BRP Gabriela Silang of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) is set to sail in the Middle East to assist in the repatriation.

Lorenzana also raised concerns over Filipinos who will refuse to leave the Middle East and said it will be a challenge.

“Some Filipinos do not want to leave their job. Kasi sabi nila, ‘anong gagawin natin sa Pilipinas?’ (because they will say ‘what will they do in the Philippines?’) But hopefully, we will be able to convince them—kung medyo delikado iyong buhay nila (if their lives are in danger)—to come home,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

AFP ready to deploy if gov’t orders evacuation of Filipinos in Middle East

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 6, 2020

Iranians attend the funeral ceremony of Qasem Soleimani, the late Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General and commander of the Quds Forces, in the city of Tehran, Iran, 06 January 2020. Soleimanil was killed in a targeted US airstrike on 03 January 2020, in Baghdad, Iraq.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced on Monday (January 6) that it is prepared to deploy its air and naval assets once the government orders the evacuation of Filipinos in the Middle East.

AFP Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Felimon Santos Jr. said they have already laid out their contingency plan to President Rodrigo Duterte.

“The indicators will be determined. Pag-uusapan namin ng national government (we will discuss it with the national government) the go signal is from them especially with the DFA with all the inputs,” he said.

Among the air and naval assets available include the C-130s as well as new frigates that are able to travel to the Middle East.

The AFP chief of staff added they are still improving their plans due to the possibility that tension might spread in neighboring countries of Iran.

“We are improving our plans not only on Iran and Iraq but the whole Middle East. We don’t know; it might spread to other countries, especially if you know the history of the war. It might spread to Israel. There are probabilities like that,” he said.

Meanwhile, the AFP is monitoring a possible retaliatory act of Iran in countries allied with the United States (US).

It is also monitoring local terrorist groups who might sympathize with the Iranian militia.

“Siyempre mayroong sympathetic, either by race or by ideology, so the PNP [Philippine National Police] is profiling possible threats, possible groups who may take advantage or who might share sympathies (Of course, there will be those sympathetic, either by race or by ideology, so the PNP is profiling possible threats, possible groups who may take advantage or who might share sympathies). So our intelligence monitoring will be continuous up until medyo luminaw na iyong problema doon sa Middle East (until the problem in the Middle East clears up),” Santos said.

Tensions between the U.S and Iran rose following the death of Iranian general, Qassem Soleimani on January 3 after the US launched an airstrike on an airport in Baghdad, Iraq.

President Rodrigo Duterte called for an emergency meeting in Malacañang on Sunday (January 5).

This is to determine the possible effects of the rising tension on thousands of Filipinos in the Middle East especially in Iran and Iraq.—AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.