Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

1 dead, 2 injured in suspected NPA attack in Surigao Del Norte

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, April 20th, 2018

A Jehovah’s Witnesses pastor was killed and two others were injured when suspected members of the New People’s Army attacked Barangay Lahi in the town of Gigaquit, Surigao Del Norte on Wednesday.

The religious minister was identified as Jepti Asido, 32, while the wounded were identified as Virgil Ortiz and Abner Malaque, residents of Barangay Villafranca.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines condemned the attack.

“Sana mag-sorry sila doon sa family. Akalain mo ng dahil doon sa balak nilang i-harass ang barangay at iniisip nilang makaka-score sila sa army, pinagbabaril nila iyong tatlo. That is (not) accident. That is plain murder,” said BGen. Franco Nemesio Gacal, the Commander of the 402nd Infantry Bridage of the Philippine Army.

(I hope they apologize to the family. Because of their plan to harass the village in order to score against the army, they gunned down the three victims. That is [not] an accident. That is plain murder.)

According to Gacal, Jepti’s group was supposed to hold a meeting in Barangay Lahi when they were ambushed by the rebels.

Gacal said they suspect that the ambush was intended for the military troops in the area. He added that such cowardly act implies that the rebel group is not taking the government’s offer of peace seriously.

“Dapat hindi nila ginagalaw ang mga sibilyan. Hindi nila sinusunog o sinisira ang mga private properties. Iyan ang kasunduan so in this instance, nag-violate na naman sila,” Gacal added.

(They should not touch the civilians. They shouldn’t be burning or breaking private properties. That was the agreement, so in this instance, they violated again.)

Prior to Wednesday’s ambush, some rebel militants also stormed Police Station 5 in Butuan City last week. — Raymond Octobre | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,

13 NPA rebels surrender in Batangas

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, August 15th, 2018

Thirteen members of the New People’s Army (NPA) operating in Cavite and Batangas have decided to return to the government fold after experiencing hardship, starvation and false hope under the terrorist group.

They officially laid down their arms on August 14 at the Office of the Presidential Adviser in Tanauan, Batangas and enrolled in the administration’s Enhanced Comprehensive Localalized Integration Program (E-CLIP).

Under the program, former rebels will be given livelihood and scholarship for their children to help them start a new life

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said past administrations had reintegration efforts as well, but were unable to sustain them.

“Kaya nagkaroon ng sama ng loob yung mga nagbalik loob. Yung iba sa kanila baka bumalik sa bundok dahil hindi natupad ng pamahalaan ang kanilang pangako,” explained Lorenzana.

(The rebel returnees felt bad. Some of them may have returned to the mountains because the government back then did not fulfill its promises.)

He said this time, the  enhanced integration program of the Duterte administration brings together key government agencies to provide a comprehensive support to returnees.  Among the major benefits they stand to enjoy is the housing program which is seen to support the initiative’s sustainability.

After taking an oath of allegiance, the former rebels were granted P60,000 each and the cash equivalent of surrendered firearms as seed money to help jumpstart their reintegration into society.

Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año said that the E-CLIP and localized peace talks are more effective in achieving reconciliation than negotiating with the leadership of CPP-NPA abroad.

“Wala na tayong international o national peace talks dahil sa loob ng tatlumpung taon walang nangyari sa peace talks,” said Año. “Ang nangyari lang, nakawala ang kanilang mga kasama bumalik sa bundok at tuloy-tuloy ang labanan.”

The ex-NPA members will temporarily stay in a secured facility of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to undergo orientation.

“Para dahan dahan silang makapamuhay ng normal. Kasi siyempre nung nadoon sila sa bundok halos araw-araw sila nag-move, palipat-lipat,” explained Major General Rhoderick Parayno, commander of the 2nd Infantry Batallion.

Secretary Lorenzana is hoping that more rebels will return to the government so that the country, unhampered by insurgency, can continue moving towards progress.

“Ang ating bayan hindi makaangat.… pag nawala ito [insurgency] siguro at bumaba na sila [rebels] at magawa natin silang useful sa society, lahat tayo ay uunlad din,” he said. – Sherwin Culubong

Tags: , , ,

7 alleged NPA rebels killed in Antique encounter

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, August 15th, 2018

Two of the seven suspected NPA rebels who were killed in an armed encounter in San Jose, Antique on August 15, 2018 | POLICE REGIONAL OFFICE 6

 

Seven suspected members of the New People’s Army were killed after engaging police and the military in an armed encounter.

PRO6 Director PCSupt. John Bulalacao said, authorities were about to serve a warrant of arrest to murder suspects, Jason Talibo and Joven Ceralvo at Brgy. Atabay, San Jose Antique on Wednesday at dawn when the group fired shots and threw a grenade at them — promptly igniting a deadly confrontation.

Exchange of gunfire lasted 33 minutes before seven members of the group were eventually killed while one was able to escape.

The seven fatalities were identified as:

1. Jason Talibo alias “Bebe” (subject of the arrest warrant)
2. Karen Ceralvo
3. Felix Salditos
4. Jason Sanchez
5. Rene Yap
6. Liezel Bandiola alias “Mayang”
7. Unidentified (Male)

The other subject of the warrant, Joven Ceralvo alias Ka Lex, is at large.

They are believed to be part of the southern front of the Komiteng Rehiyong Panay and NPA’s regional taxation implementing group based on items that authorities recovered from the suspects, which include different types of firearms, ammunition, laptops, mobile phones, subversive documents and cash collected through extortion.

“Yes region wide they are the ones involved in giving of support to all their operating units. Sa kanilang pagka-neutralize this morning malaking bagay ito sa party dito sa ating region,” PSupt Bulalacao said.

The entire Western Visayas Police is now on full alert for possible retaliatory attacks following the bloody encounter.

“Definitely we are expecting that they will be launching attacks especially against those vulnerable police stations especially in the far-flung areas,” PSupt Bulalacao said. — Lea Ylagan

Tags: , , ,

Troops find abandoned remains of NPA rebel in Batangas

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, August 2nd, 2018

 

The abandoned body of an NPA rebel covered with dried coconut leaves in an attempt by the NPA to conceal the body. (Photo courtesy of the AFP)

 

CAMP GENERAL MATEO CAPINPIN, Tanay, Rizal — Government troops on Wednesday, August 1, found the abandoned remains of a New People’s Army (NPA) member at Sitio Sampaloc, Brgy Bulsa, San Juan, Batangas during a pursuit and tracking operation following an encounter with the rebels.

The body was later identified as alias “Jepoy” of the Kilusang Larangang Gerilya Silangan.

Jepoy is believed to have been killed in an armed encounter against soldiers last Monday where he suffered two fatal gunshot wounds in the chest.

The rotting remains of the rebel were tracked by K9 dogs that followed the blood stains from the encounter site.

The body was found in a grassy area one kilometer away from the encounter site. It was covered with dried coconut leaves in an attempt by the NPA to conceal the body.

Major General Rhoderick M. Parayno AFP, Commander, 2ID condemned the NPAs treatment of their dead combatants.

“They should provide proper medication to those that are wounded. But the most unacceptable thing is to leave a comrade behind and conceal the body by covering it with dried leaves”, he added.

He also appealed to the rebels to, “Give up your arms and join us in local peace talks.”

Meanwhile, the cadaver has been transported to the municipal police station for proper disposition while waiting for possible claimant.

Aside from the previous recovered items such as M16 rifle, backpacks, bandoleers and Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) during the firefight, the troops also recovered additional IEDs, blasting cap, hand grenade, assorted ammunition, MacBook laptop, cellphones and other subversive documents.

The government troops are continuing massive pursuit operations against the terrorists in an attempt to locate the other wounded NPA reported by the civilians.

Check points are also being expanded in the area. — UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,